My Super Bowl Game, Halftime Show, and Ad Review

Razors Edge

I went to bed after the first half

Didn't see the half time show.

Most did quick chores and set up for Monday morning during commercials.  I though the money spent on the Jesus commercial would be better spent buying food for people who need it though.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

I though the money spent on the Jesus commercial would be better spent buying food for people who need it though.

Nope. Maybe the Scientology one earlier, though, would have been.

In 2024 (as most years of my life), folks still seem to be confused about a major world religion and the central figure in it.  WWJD remains a succinct and simple message, and that ad demonstrated how far modern messiahs are from one of the original ones.  

• Heart 1
  • Whatever 1

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Game didn't suck.

Halftime show got better once the sound was sorted and other performers joined the mix. Didn't suck.

Ads were mostly completely forgettable.  Didn't suck.

I dunno, the first half of the game was kind of lacking luster until right before the 4th quarter.  It might not have sucked, so you are technically correct, but it wasn't all that it could be until then.  I thought the only interesting part of the halftime show was the rollerskates.  Although nicely weird and unexpected, didn't do much for the show that wasn't weird and unexpected.  Pretty forgettable otherwise, nobody is gonna remember this hafltime show even next year.

The ads were forgettable, so for superbowl ads, they comparatively failed.

I do not accept your summation, please rewrite immediately and apologize to someone.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Pretty forgettable otherwise, nobody is gonna remember this hafltime show even next year.

I was saying to my wife, "I don't remember ANY halftime shows despite liking a few of them."  They need to run a Super Bowl Halftime Shows marathon leading up to the game.

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

I though the money spent on the Jesus commercial would be better spent buying food for people who need it though.

Agreed, I felt that was money wasted.  Religious people en masse (claimed religious people) have mostly disregarded the teachings of Jesus, this is obvious to most of the country.  Nobody is gonna turn based on that ad, especially drunk and wanting some action on the offensive side of the ball.  And foot washing?  C'mon, only knuckleheads already on the god squad are gonna know that reference. 

Marketing fail, epic style.  They weren't alone in that, though, it is no sin to swing and miss, I suppose.  A couple good commercials, though.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I was saying to my wife, "I don't remember ANY halftime shows despite liking a few of them."  They need to run a Super Bowl Halftime Shows marathon leading up to the game.

This really is true, it would take something massively memorable to be memorable.  Lots of substance-less razzle-dazzle seems to be the formula, along with getting millions of people onstage as incoherently as possible.

Superbowl shows are like suburbs in AZ, the all look the same and meld into one another and are often indistinguishable from past iterations.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Your review didn't suck.

Of course it it, every asshole has an opinion (a wrong one)!

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Superbowl shows are like suburbs in AZ, the all look the same and meld into one another and are often indistinguishable from past iterations.

In general, you are right.  The exceptions are Prince because he nailed it and Katy Perry because the dancing sharks were surreal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

In general, you are right.  The exceptions are Prince because he nailed it and Katy Perry because the dancing sharks were surreal.

I liked a couple of the dinosaur shows, I thought Paul McCartney was good.  I know one of the last few shows was pretty decent, but I don't remember exactly which one.  Someone would have to sleuth that up, I suppose.

46 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

I went to bed after the first half

Didn't see the half time show.

Most did quick chores and set up for Monday morning during commercials.  I though the money spent on the Jesus commercial would be better spent buying food for people who need it though.

Exactly what I thought about that ad.  They could have fed a lot of people with those loaves and fishes.

20 minutes ago, a bunch of numbers said:

The commercials definitely leave a lot to be desired.  They sure don't make them like they used to.

I am having my trouble putting my finger on it but I am thinking it has less to do with them, 'not making them like they used to'.  I am leaning toward they're trying too hard to make them like they used to and just like with the 10th AC/DC album that tried to sound like, 'Back in Black', it just isn't fresh anymore.

• Heart 3

31 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Exactly what I thought about that ad.  They could have fed a lot of people with those loaves and fishes.

"They"?  Or "we"?

Sort of the point for the ad is that folks seem to have stopped with the WWJD guidance and turned towards some false idols/gods spewing hate and divisiveness?  Actions and service, not hate and vitriol?

So, yeah, those folks could have spent their money - one time - on doing what they or other groups regularly do, OR they could make a push to grow the base and maybe get MORE folks thinking WWJD and actually doing it.  The more the merrier, and when given a choice to follow some compassionate teachings or some deplorable ones, I find a nudge in the right direction is needed sometimes. :dontknow:

• Heart 1