Albuquerque In The Summer?

Razors Edge

WeatherSpark says the hottest month is July with average highs of 92. After the monsoon rainy season begins, there are afternoon showers around and about. They last for a few minutes as they move through and cool it down. But mostly the humidity is very low, so 92 degrees feels like 92. We just try to do everything in the morning and then stay indoors for the hours from 1-4, and then it cools a little. Wear sunscreen.

https://weatherspark.com/y/3318/Average-Weather-in-Albuquerque-New-Mexico-United-States-Year-Round

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

I lived on the other side of New Mexico near Clovis for 4.5 years. It was HOT in the summer so much that I volunteered to work swing and mid shifts. The flightline ramp was murder in the hot sun.

However it was a dry heat most of the time. We used swamp coolers for AC. I made the mistake of going for a century ride when I got to the St. Louis area when the temp was 'only' 93°F. That 93°F wasn't bad on a bike ride in NM, but it was hotter than hell when the STL humidity was added in. I lost over 10 pounds on that ride and back in those days, I didn't have 10 pounds to lose. 

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 1

1 minute ago, MoseySusan said:

WeatherSpark says the hottest month is July with average highs of 92. After the monsoon rainy season begins, there are afternoon showers around and about. They last for a few minutes as they move through and cool it down. But mostly the humidity is very low, so 92 degrees feels like 92. We just try to do everything in the morning and then stay indoors for the hours from 1-4, and then it cools a little. Wear sunscreen.

https://weatherspark.com/y/3318/Average-Weather-in-Albuquerque-New-Mexico-United-States-Year-Round

My niece has a possible internship there this summer, and since she is used to VA's muggy summers, I think she'd be fine.  And would be indoors during work hours.

She also has a FL one as a potential, and I think that might be tougher than VA's summers - but she might be near the ocean which is always a "win".

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And would be indoors during work hours.

ABQ is boring if you don’t ride a bike. Nothing to do after work. There are some music series at the zoo and BioPark, and some civic theater. But it’s seriously low key here. 

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

My niece has a possible internship there this summer, and since she is used to VA's muggy summers, I think she'd be fine.  And would be indoors during work hours.

She also has a FL one as a potential, and I think that might be tougher than VA's summers - but she might be near the ocean which is always a "win".

You should suggest she do her internship in September.  I hear Albuquerque is beautiful then. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Further said:

Albuquerque in the summer beats Buffalo in the winter 

Heck KC beat Buffalo in the winter. And Cincinnati. And KC before that. And KC again before that. And Houston (!) before that!  

What we know is that pretty much Buffalo is always beat in the winter!

• Whatever 1

6 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I’m over winter, ready for spring, but We’ve got to bide our time.

Why do you live in Buffalo? 

Why does anyone live in Buffalo?  Not being a smartass or anything, I am often curious as to how cities got their starts and why people moved there from other regions, and why they stay.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Why does anyone live in Buffalo?  Not being a smartass or anything, I am often curious as to how cities got their starts and why people moved there from other regions, and why they stay.

By the time things thaw out, it's too late to start on anything new - like packing and planning a move.  It's like a low powered black hole that traps folks just on the event horizon.

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

People who live here love it. For me, family keeps me here. BuffCarla will probably never want to leave, plus my daughter is here.

2 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

ABQ is boring if you don’t ride a bike. Nothing to do after work. There are some music series at the zoo and BioPark, and some civic theater. But it’s seriously low key here. 

I would tend to say the same for Calgary at certain times of the year...such as now, until May - June. Although we are ballooning with more residents, it doesn't translate to a consistently vibrant, dynamic arts scene year-round, like Toronto.  More tepid.  Less courageous.  Gettin' better, but courage in our area moves way slower.

If people are snow bunnies and jack rabbits, sure they drive out often to Rockies to snowboard, ski, etc. Most locals I know only do that approx. 1-3 times/winter (Dec.-Mar.) or not even go at all. That is 100-130 kms. away from city, 1-way. There's always a cost involved for each trip even if only a day trip.