So, it’s Monday climbing gym day.

MoseySusan

Just now, dinneR said:

There is a climbing gym opening here soon. I tried to convince my GF to apply for the job running it. She did not. She would have been awesome at it.

For her, that would be like a tenured college professor with multiple PhDs and a 20 yrs of seniority volunteering to run the church day care on Sundays.  

• Heart 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

For her, that would be like a tenured college professor with multiple PhDs and a 20 yrs of seniority volunteering to run the church day care on Sundays.  

She used to teach rock and ice climbing to woman. She was great at it. 

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, dinneR said:

There is a climbing gym opening here soon. I tried to convince my GF to apply for the job running it. She did not. She would have been awesome at it.

The gym refreshes routes every three weeks or so, and I love to watch them placing the hand and footholds. I think running an indoor gym would be fun. 

29 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

volunteering to run the church day care on Sundays

And you climb how often?
There are seriously hard-core climbers at this gym. Most of the facility is set up for top rope and lead climbing on 45 foot walls with overhangs, a 15 foot bouldering stand with overhangs, and climbs ranging in technical skill from 8 to 12+. I have to think a climbing gym in Jackson Hole will be at least as equipped. Outdoors people take their gym sessions seriously. 

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, MoseySusan said:

And you climb how often?

Not enough!

2 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

There are seriously hard-core climbers at this gym. Most of the facility is set up for top rope and lead climbing on 45 foot walls with overhangs, a 15 foot bouldering stand with overhangs, and climbs ranging in technical skill from 8 to 12+. I have to think a climbing gym in Jackson Hole will be at least as equipped. Outdoors people take their gym sessions seriously. 

Yeah, I get it.  Sorry to kill your buzz.  Keep up the fun at the gym.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Keep up the fun

It’s not a buzz kill so much as misunderstanding of the physical characteristics of indoor climbing, especially at a facility that gears toward outdoor climbing as well. It’s not Sunday school class. And it’s a serious workout. 

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I compared it to Sunday church DAY CARE!!!! 

image.jpeg.d9196cd9a83fccb22b95f6cc4e72ec60.jpeg

Neither here nor there. 
Anger is an energy, but it can take as much as it gives. Are there other attitudes that energize you besides this tendency toward being misunderstood? :)

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

Mattie Sheafor climbs in Sinks Canyon last year

29 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

The gym refreshes routes every three weeks or so, and I love to watch them placing the hand and footholds. I think running an indoor gym would be fun. 

And you climb how often?

I expect this will do well. It's the town rec center. 

• Awesome 1

So, mr and I are watching a documentary about Alex Honnold training to free solo El Capitan. And comparatively, the indoor walls seem like play time, but the kind of climbing this guy does is not available to the vast majority of people who climb outdoors. It doesn’t even register. The indoor climbing gym is accessible, the problems are interesting, there’s a lot of skill and fitness for us to grow into, and time spent there has been beneficial. Indoor and outdoor climbing are way different. But that difference doesn’t relegate the indoor space to only the fun zone. Like most activities, you get out what you put in. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

So, mr and I are watching a documentary about Alex Honnold training to free solo El Capitan. And comparatively, the indoor walls seem like play time, but the kind of climbing this guy does is not available to the vast majority of people who climb outdoors. It doesn’t even register. The indoor climbing gym is accessible, the problems are interesting, there’s a lot of skill and fitness for us to grow into, and time spent there has been beneficial. Indoor and outdoor climbing are way different. But that difference doesn’t relegate the indoor space to only the fun zone. Like most activities, you get out what you put in. 

Fear and I have an uneasy alliance.

Climbing is the sport I use to shine light in the dark corners.  There is a familiar cadence to this sport for me after all these years. It is a discipline I can lean up against and trust in.  Gravity always wins. The rules are clear, if unforgiving.

• Awesome 1

9 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

“Free Solo” - youngest daughter got to meet Jimmy Chin, the director, when she was among 20 photographers hired by Mazda to photograph CX30s at their release. He reviewed and commented on their photos at the end of the day then they all had dinner together. 

She was seated directly across from Jimmy at dinner and said she was a little star struck at first, but Jimmy found out she spent a lot of time in Yosemite. They started comparing notes on how to evade the park rangers to get the REALLY good shots!

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, groupw said:

“Free Solo” - youngest daughter got to meet Jimmy Chin, the director,

Showing the camera crew and director was a favorite part of that film. I’m glad that adventure documentaries are finally featuring the climbers who do the camera work, too. 

• Heart 1