Milk -> Tea ...or... Tea -> Milk?

Razors Edge

I generally, when making tea, nuke some water, toss a tea bag in my mug, pour the hot water over the ta bag, let it steep a while, remove the bag, and add a little milk to top off the mug.

BUT...

Some folks seem to think milk goes in first.  To me, that means an extra something - tea pot, or other mug, or ??? - must contain the tea as it steeps, and that just seems dopey.

Am I right or wrong?

25 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I generally, when making tea, nuke some water, toss a tea bag in my mug, pour the hot water over the ta bag, let it steep a while, remove the bag, and add a little milk to top off the mug.

BUT...

Some folks seem to think milk goes in first.  To me, that means an extra something - tea pot, or other mug, or ??? - must contain the tea as it steeps, and that just seems dopey.

Am I right or wrong?

Tea and hot water only as it steeps.  Other stuff in the cup, only, ever and always.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

nuke some water

Microwaving Tea Goes Against the Laws of Physics

Speaking of flavor benefits, there is actual scientific research to support the notion that microwaving water to brew tea is just...incredibly wrong. One study conducted by researchers at the University of Electronic Science and Technology of China researched how heating liquid works in a microwave. It turns out that the electric field that acts as a warming source in the appliance causes the water to end up at different temperatures at the top and bottom of your mug. And a good cup of tea is about achieving a uniform temperature throughout your mug.

Conversely, when warming a liquid like water on the stove or within a kettle, the heating source warms the container from below. This is when a process called convection occurs, which results in a perfectly uniform temperature throughout the kettle.

Unfortunately, if you're heating a mug of water in the microwave for 90 seconds (like the researchers did), the device's electric field heats it from all angles, not just from below. The result? The top part of the mug's water may be boiling, while the bottom is far from a boiling point. "Because the entire glass itself is also warming up, the convection process does not occur, and the liquid at the top of the container ends up being much hotter than the liquid at the bottom," states the study. Translation? A crummy cup of tea.

https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/cooking-tips-techniques/microwave-tea-mistake#:~:text=Microwaving Tea Goes Against the Laws of Physics&text=And a good cup of,warms the container from below.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

if you're heating a mug of water in the microwave for 90 seconds

The top part of the mug's water may be boiling, while the bottom is far from a boiling point.

In my microwave, NONE of the water is boiling after 90 seconds!  That alone leads me to wonder WTF those Chinese "scientists" were studying.  Not normal "heating water in a microwave" technology. 

Just now, Razors Edge said:

In my microwave, NONE of the water is boiling after 90 seconds!  That alone leads me to wonder WTF those Chinese "scientists" were studying.  Not normal "heating water in a microwave" technology. 

Cheese would be disgusted by your brutality toward your tea.

You should be ashamed.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

There is probably a book with an essay advocating the other way too?  

Doubtful. The essay was great. A bunch of woman said tea tastes better when you add the milk first. The husbands were a bunch of scientists and they argued there would be no difference in taste. So they tested the theory and the woman were right. 

18 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Well, make with the essay, ese'!

Try this

https://dorothysteas.co.uk/blog/according-to-science-should-you-put-the-milk-in-first

Based on the research conducted by Dr Stapley of Loughborough University, it has been confirmed that putting the milk in before the hot tea is the correct way to make a brew. Sorry to those of you who have been putting the milk in last all this time, you’ve been doing it wrong! This somewhat bold claim is all down to the milk heating unevenly when poured into hot tea. 

Or Orwell for the opposite approach

http://www.booksatoz.com/witsend/tea/orwell.htm

• Tenthly, one should pour tea into the cup first. This is one of the most controversial points of all; indeed in every family in Britain there are probably two schools of thought on the subject. The milk-first school can bring forward some fairly strong arguments, but I maintain that my own argument is unanswerable. This is that, by putting the tea in first and stirring as one pours, one can exactly regulate the amount of milk whereas one is liable to put in too much milk if one does it the other way round.

5 minutes ago, dinneR said:

Or Orwell for the opposite approach

http://www.booksatoz.com/witsend/tea/orwell.htm

• Tenthly, one should pour tea into the cup first. This is one of the most controversial points of all; indeed in every family in Britain there are probably two schools of thought on the subject. The milk-first school can bring forward some fairly strong arguments, but I maintain that my own argument is unanswerable. This is that, by putting the tea in first and stirring as one pours, one can exactly regulate the amount of milk whereas one is liable to put in too much milk if one does it the other way round.

Don't forget stirring technique! 

And this guy at 10:00 is pushing the upper class approach! Tea first!  And 12 to 6 to 12 to 6 "stirring"!

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

BUT...

Am I right or wrong?

I have great tasting teas with citrus (Bigelow's Constant Comment, Earl Gray) or flavored with fruit and prefer it with no milk and a little honey.

If I did add milk, I'd probably add it first and let the poured-in-tea mix it as I do with coffee.

Coffee is stronger with more bitterness and I add a large amount of half-and-half to my mug, add the coffee, then keep refilling the mug from my 25 oz. pot each time the mug is down to about 2/3 so that I have enough half-and-half to flavor it to the end.

I stopped adding sugar to coffee when I was a struggling grad student and sugar prices soared around 1974 when I drank it black.  I've grown to like unsweetened coffee ever since and the half-and-half alone works for me.