Does anyone really like falafel?

Randomguy
Go to solution Solved by a bunch of numbers,

?

I mean really like it, as in "I can't wait to get some falafel and chow until I puke and shit at the same time", not just "I suppose I will eat this garbage so I am not hungry later"?

I suspect that nobody really loves falafel because it is inherently unlovable.  I think it is the red-haired stepchild of the chickpea world, and only people who are severely mentally ill like it enough to beat it like a red-haired stepchild apparently needs to be beaten.

Discus.

1 minute ago, Dottleshead said:

No, not really.  I mean it's OK but I would not waste my hard earned money to go out of my way to make it or buy it at a restaurant.

The gf likes it, supposedly, but she has damaged tastebuds from drinking coffee.   She got some frozey falafel and made some for lunch, and gave me a portion.

It tasted like middle eastern ass.

• Awesome 1

I do - we've been having it a few times a month lately, either premade/frozen from Trader Joe's, or made from a mix.  (I've tried making it from scratch; hard to get the texture right and they tend to fall apart in the pan).

Or - fantastic falafel pitas at a place called Mamoun's in Princeton.

I haven't tried enough falaefels to figure out its taste differences from different places.  I like it better in general than KFC.  IT just gets covered up and folded with sauce, onions, lettuce, tomato and sometimes flatbread. I dunno.. then it's harder to assess true falaefel nuances.

2 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

You got me.  I have zero experience with middle eastern ass.  Did it smell weird?

I had a mutual gropefest with an indian chick once, she had the smoothest skin ever.   That is as close to middle east ass as I am getting, but I imagine lots of bad falafel flavor.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, a bunch of numbers said:

I had to google it, I did not know what it was.  I wouldn't go out of my way to get some.  Anything with cilantro in it tastes like soap.

Cilantro used to taste like soap to me. 

But somewhere back 20 yrs. ago, I developed a taste for it. I started to add some of it directly into some home stir-fried dishes and cook it into the dish for 5 minutes before serving.  THis is how I unknowingly developed my palate..I actually consider it a good thing. 

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

Or - fantastic falafel pitas at a place called Mamoun's in Princeton.

We had a tasty place near work - Amsterdam Falafelshop - but they're gone now (I think).

I loved Istanbul for a number of reasons, but one was that lunch was such "easy" as I would just suggest the nearest falafel place and tastiness would ensue. 

• Heart 2

I am not sure I have ever had falafel.  How would I know?

I remember at the end of one of the Avengers movies that Iron Man wants to go for swharma.  I have not had that either.

I have a hard time telling babaganoush from hummus. 

• Sad 1

Just now, jsharr said:

I am not sure I have ever had falafel.  How would I know?

I remember at the end of one of the Avengers movies that Iron Man wants to go for swharma.  I have not had that either.

I have a hard time telling babaganoush from hummus. 

Aren't you older than me???? :scratchhead:

DUDE!!! Start living!  Grab @Square Wheels and head out to see the REST of the world.

Just now, Randomguy said:

You would want to vomit it out immediately, unless disguised in something good so you can camouflage the flavor.  You should try some, though, just to prove me wrong.

Sometimes, for a microsecond, we forget you have the intestinal fortitude of a two month old baby Panda.  They we read a thread like this and are reminded anew!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I had it during a Nile River Cruise and again in a Palestinian restaurant in Bethlehem.

I'm glad in both cases the little balls of food were just a side-dish.  Nothing special to me and I'm not crazy about spicy food, which the one in Egypt was - i don't remember the Palestinian version's spiciness.

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I had it during a Nile River Cruise and again in a Palestinian restaurant in Bethlehem.

I'm glad in both cases the little balls of food were just a side-dish.  Nothing special to me and I'm not crazy about spicy food, which the one in Egypt was - i don't remember the Palestinian version's spiciness.

Well, spicy is good, but falafel has an overarching assiness to it that deep-frying only partially explains.  I like other chickpea dishes, so it seems that people went out of their way to make falafel bad.

7 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I usually need to have other more tasty stuff added in to make it enjoyable.  Like having some mixed in a wrap with other tasty ingredients.

The toppings are a great addition to fresh falafel.  I'm a "yes, yes, yes, yes, ..." sort of point and add type of person, and it's great.

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

A falafel ball by itself is pretty dry. I'd love to know by itself, what makes a great falafel ball.

I have found that the closer you get to 'just falafel', the more disappointing that it is.  I just haven't found any that I would eat by itself, it would have to have all kinds of fresh veggies, some bread or other, and lots of distracting sauce on it.  If there were other food items to choose instead of falafel, I don't think I would ever choose falafel.

On 2/12/2024 at 1:15 PM, shootingstar said:

Cilantro used to taste like soap to me. 

But somewhere back 20 yrs. ago, I developed a taste for it. I started to add some of it directly into some home stir-fried dishes and cook it into the dish for 5 minutes before serving.  THis is how I unknowingly developed my palate..I actually consider it a good thing. 

I wonder if @Dirtyhip puts cilantro in her homemade  soap? :dontknow:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

If she grows it, why not?  In some Asian soups, yes one does put in some fresh chopped cilantro. I understand it is used in some Mexican dishes..whatever dishes that may be.  Anyway, back to falafel..

Chopped onion & cilantro is a common garnish on tacos & other Mexican dishes.  Personally I like it and don’t get the comparisons to soap but to each their own.  

Edit: Oh and I don’t care for falafel… if it’s included with a combo meal it doesn’t get touched by either my wife nor I.  

45 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I have found that the closer you get to 'just falafel', the more disappointing that it is.  I just haven't found any that I would eat by itself, it would have to have all kinds of fresh veggies, some bread or other, and lots of distracting sauce on it.  If there were other food items to choose instead of falafel, I don't think I would ever choose falafel.

To me, it's one of those ethnic dishes originally invented out of necessity with available local ingredients and where it was cheaper, meat was scarce or meat was not consumed for various reasons.  It doesn't make the falafel bad, but just looking at the core ingredients...says it all..of its long, long culinary history and across a large part of the world... Middle East, Greece, etc.

I like falafels, but not by itself and not overly deep fried (if that's possible).

18 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

To me, it's one of those ethnic dishes originally invented out of necessity with available local ingredients and where it was cheaper, meat was scarce or meat was not consumed for various reasons.  It doesn't make the falafel bad, but just looking at the core ingredients...says it all..of its long, long culinary history and across a large part of the world... Middle East, Greece, etc.

I like falafels, but not by itself and not overly deep fried (if that's possible).

If it was falafel or starvation sure but our ancestors ate many things we no longer eat as we have found other more palatable options.

They remind me a bit of hush puppies which I don’t care for either. 

• Heart 1

34 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

If it was falafel or starvation sure but our ancestors ate many things we no longer eat as we have found other more palatable options.

I've never had hush puppies. 

If the menu offers souvlaki and if not astronomically priced high, I would get that instead, 80% of the time. (as long as it's not pressed meat. <_<)

• Heart 1

52 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah, I never got why people would want to eat them, either.  I am also mystified by matzah ball soup, not sure what the point of that big dough turd is.

43 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Yeah, I never got why people would want to eat them, either.  I am also mystified by matzah ball soup, not sure what the point of that big dough turd is.

I found matzah ball soup very boring.  Maybe that's the point..from an original religious perspective.