I feel clueless

Square Wheels

6 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Nor should you worry about this. I am in the same boat you’re in. I read the news but I don’t watch television shows or movies anymore. Some names are familiar but I have no idea what they’re famous for, other than being famous. Which shouldn’t be a qualifier. 

You and me both.

22 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I have no idea who any current "celebrity" is.

I've never seen a Housewives of ___________ show.

I have no idea who the Kardashians are.

I don't know any current music.

I am not worried about any of this.

It's well documented that brains can calcify. Worry about that, not the small stuff like who's hip nowadays.

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I'm not too far away from any of those.  My brother and his teenage son had to tell me who was performing at halftime at the Super Bowl.

There are things I do understand but can't comprehend how they succeed: Starbucks, Crypto Currency, etc.

The great investors like Warren Buffett and Peter Lynch say, "Buy what you know." so I don't own them.

7 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Same here and I fear it will hurt me on jeopardy. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Same here and I fear it will hurt me on jeopardy. 

If you're on Who Wants to be a Millionaire, I can be your phone a friend for trashy news. :nodhead:

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

:check:  I have no idea who any current "celebrity" is.   

:check:  I've never seen a Housewives of ___________ show.

:check:  I have no idea who the Kardashians are.   

:check:  I don't know any current music.

:check::check::check:  I am not worried about any of this.

I'll live in my world... it's nice here.  

• Heart 2

I don’t find this odd at all.  Most of us are at an age were pop culture is well past us.  If it wasn’t for my kids I would be pretty clueless too but as my kids are 30-25 they are moving out of that demographic too.  As in they are not taking over the TV watching Dancing With The Stars or Kardashians.

What I find sad are people in their 50’s & 60’s trying to stay relevant by talking like and following things their kids do.   My daughter’s MIL is like that. She wants to be so involved in what they do, watch & listen to so she can relate to her son & my daughter.  I don’t even freaking bother… I don’t know that I want to understand or relate at that level.  

• Heart 1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I don’t find this odd at all.  Most of us are at an age were pop culture is well past us.  If it wasn’t for my kids I would be pretty clueless too but as my kids are 30-25 they are moving out of that demographic too.  As in they are not taking over the TV watching Dancing With The Stars or Kardashians.

What I find sad are people in their 50’s & 60’s trying to stay relevant by talking like and following things their kids do.   My daughter’s MIL is like that. She wants to be so involved in what they do, watch & listen to so she can relate to her son & my daughter.  I don’t even freaking bother… I don’t know that I want to understand or relate at that level.  

I think two things come to mind when Square or anyone plays "unaware" or "ignorant", it's a LONG swath of time they are discussing at this point.  Literally, someone in their 50s or 60s claiming in the 1970s to know nothing of those upstarts like the Beatles or Elvis Presley.:

I've never seen a Housewives of ___________ show.  "The Real Housewives is an American reality television franchise that began on March 21, 2006

I have no idea who the Kardashians are. "Keeping Up with the Kardashians is an American reality television series... aired on the E! network between 2007 and 2021. "

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The fans of these celebrities are going to be running the country soon.

Are you worried now?

Can they do worse than the ones who fainted at the sight of Paul, John, Ringo, and George?  Or wet their pants when Elvis swiveled his hips?

I am not too much into pop culture.  All actors and actresses seem to blend together.  Autotuned music is unlistenable to me which excludes me from most current music.  The most contemporary band I listen to is probably Whitehorse but I haven't purchased or even looked into any of their music since 2017.  I am not losing sleep over any of this.

20 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I know some a very few.

Me neither.

I'd prolly recognize Kim, but the others, meh (including the Jenners)

The half time show was tolerable, Poot & his GF enjoyed it.

Me neither.

11 hours ago, ChrisL said:

What I find sad are people in their 50’s & 60’s trying to stay relevant by talking like and following things their kids do.

I don't think it is all that hard to know of broad social trends/memes/vernacular in the days of the internet.  I would say that folks our age are far better plugged into what is going on than prior to the web/smartphone age, without really trying too hard, and we can always do a quick lookup of anything we don't recognize.  Following along and knowing kid trends is pretty different than participating in them, though.

I think the main differences from back in the day is that we are now choosing to ignore things we don't care about, whereas prior to the internet/smartphone age, you really had to seek much of it out or be in a peer group that was plugged into something or other.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I think the main differences from back in the day is that we are now choosing to ignore things we don't care about, whereas prior to the internet/smartphone age, you really had to seek much of it out or be in a peer group that was plugged into something or other.

There was also less to manage.  There were three/four networks that produced shows and a handful of movie studios.  Music options were pretty limited too.  Today there are streams and podcasts and more channels and services than imaginable 10 or 15 years ago.  I doubt even the 15 to 35 year olds can really keep up either. 

• Heart 2

12 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I don't think it is all that hard to know of broad social trends/memes/vernacular in the days of the internet.  I would say that folks our age are far better plugged into what is going on than prior to the web/smartphone age, without really trying too hard, and we can always do a quick lookup of anything we don't recognize.  Following along and knowing kid trends is pretty different than participating in them, though.

Yeah agree but it seems counter to many here who seem blissfully unaware.  

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Following along and knowing kid trends is pretty different than participating in them, though.

So true!

I cycle through three or four music stations on SiriusXM.  Default is Alt Nation, but I will intersperse with 80s on 8, 90s on 9, 1st Wave, or scroll through the classic rock options. 

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

So true!

I cycle through three or four music stations on SiriusXM.  Default is Alt Nation, but I will intersperse with 80s on 8, 90s on 9, 1st Wave, or scroll through the classic rock options. 

Alt Nation, gotta check that one out.  I have the same programmed but switch Lithium for Alt Nation.  

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Alt Nation, gotta check that one out.  I have the same programmed but switch Lithium for Alt Nation.  

Lithium is in the broader mix of my "favorites".  I also like the Tom Petty channel and sometimes want reggae - new or old - so for to those. Really, in a sense "too many" channels are the problem, but I still find I like a lot of "modern" music on Alt Nation and they will toss in some older stuff. 1st Wave is great for the 80s alt stuff as well.

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Assuming that they are plugged into reality.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah agree but it seems counter to many here who seem blissfully unaware.  

They are trying to be unware, at least some of the time.  For instance, I don't know a thing about the Kardashians on purpose, I feel that knowing that they are big-assed and big-boobed and they are super well known because of this is pretty dang stupid, with wasted brain cells on something with no value whatsover.

Other things require little effort to know about, and you just travel along following an interest.  I like to know things that have value to me, and haven't stopped or slowed down in that regard, same as you or other folks.  

• Hugs 1