Rhapsody in Blue

dinneR

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

We played a short version of Rhapsody in a concert band I played in during my youth.  Like the woodwind players in the video, I played B flat, Alto and Bass clarinet as well as tenor sax.  It remains one of my favourite songs.  I had never seen that video. Thanks @dinneR

I think the video is from a bio pic about Gershwin. That looks like Paul Whiteman conducting. 

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, dinneR said:

Premiered 100 years ago. I did not know the opening clarinet solo was improvised and Gershwin loved it so he wrote it into the piece.

I listen to the whole 16 minute piece every so often.  Some of it is among the most beautiful music I've ever heard and many of them are in the excerpt in this video.  Some of it is a bunch of notes based on 7th and 11th chords meant to be discordant or confusing so that it heightens the effect of the excellent parts they precede, but it doesn;t seem to me to work real well.  So a lot of times I skip ahead to the next good part.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

We played a short version of Rhapsody in a concert band I played in during my youth.  Like the woodwind players in the video, I played B flat, Alto and Bass clarinet as well as tenor sax.  It remains one of my favourite songs.  I had never seen that video. Thanks @dinneR

It was one of the first vinyl pieces I purchased when I got old enough to buy my own.  I don't remember the name of the album but it also had Blue Rondo a la Turk on it.

• Heart 1