So help me "apologize"

petitepedal

So...the board president...is not happy with me ...again (hey she has regular mood swings...) Anyway..while trying to get my co-workers to sign a retirement card she nosed in and wanted to sign.  And I told her it was a staff thing.  OH boy...blow up...but silently...she has given me the cold shoulder now for 2 days...Hey it wasn't my card..the dang job was dumped on me to get it signed  at the last minute....I tried to smooth it over with telling her we did the same for the last two people who retired...and it was our thing...separate from the building goodbye"..... But that did nothing..

It wouldn't be so bad..but on Tuesday...they will probably do my annual review and damn it would go better if she wasn't pissed off at me.

The person who gave me the card to get signed (and who made the card)..hid it from this woman the day before when she was showing it to me...and I actually stopped trying to get people to sign it and told her to ask this other person...because...it wasn't my thing and  yeah the president loves to include herself in anything we do...as long as she doesn't have to contribute money..   So...I was hoping this other person would do the ya or nay...cos ...like I said it was her thing......Personally...I am too busy trying to keep up with my job than to worry about cards....

Why not just let her sign it?  Who cares?

I'm going to do a Randomguy and say why TF should the board president care?  She seems to get butthurt awfully easy.

When you're in a work environment, a team is a team.  If you're not on that particular team, you butt out unless there's a reason your management is necessary.  Otherwise you get known as the person with a nose long enough that you've got to stick it in everyone's business. 

I've generally found that the people who get offended this easily generally didn't get to be managers by deserving it.

• Heart 1

I've generally found that the people who get offended this easily generally didn't get to be managers by deserving it.

While they remain in place, they tend to make things unpleasant for everyone around them. And it can take quite a while before such people are relieved of their positions.
  • Heart 1

While they remain in place, they tend to make things unpleasant for everyone around them. And it can take quite a while before such people are relieved of their positions.

Yep.  And in most cases, I found walking on eggshells didn't help --they were determined to be butthurt at some point, it was just a matter of when.

I didn't go out of my way to offend them, but I made a decision that if I inadvertently did so, well, sorry.  It's life.  Build a bridge and get over it.

Would it help if you got another card for "management" and said "after I spoke to you I realized that the card the other person had didn't cover everyone and I thought it would be good to have another one"?  Or if she brings it up say "I'm sorry.  I was just focused on getting the names that the other person asked me to get and didn't want to make any changes since it wasn't my card, but of coruse they'd have wanted you to sign it."

Personally, I'd probably just hope this incident passes without further mention, but in the future, since you know this woman can be sensitive, just try to go along - at least with respect to things that don't negatively impact your residents.

• Heart 1