Snow day pics

Parsnip Totin Jack

That first pic of the yeast almost looks like the beer I just drank.  It was from a sampler case of beer and I drank some before straight from the bottle.  This one I poured into a glass to be civilized and it was all cloudy like that.

Bottle conditioned, aka real ale.

What yeast you using? Making pub ale, right?

Safale ale yeast.  straight pub mild.  Six lbs pale lme, 2 lbs crystal 40l, .60 lb Victory and .40 rye to see what that does.  I haven't used rye before.  Three ounces hop pellets (.50 Galena, .50 Columbus for 60, 1.0 Northern Brewer for 10 and 1.0 East Kent Goldings as a dry hop.  Ferment five days, transfer to secondary, ferment 5 to 7 more.  Bottle with DME and sample after two weeks.

You made a starter for S-04? Were you really bored? ;)
No Maris Otter?
You'll have to let me know how that rye works out. Not sure I'd use it in a pub ale, but what the heck; you won't know until you try.
How does carbing with the DME work out for you? I tried it once; didn't work out so well.

You made a starter for S-04? Were you really bored? ;)
No Maris Otter?
You'll have to let me know how that rye works out. Not sure I'd use it in a pub ale, but what the heck; you won't know until you try.
How does carbing with the DME work out for you? I tried it once; didn't work out so well.

The DME works great as a primer.  It requires 1 1/4 DME to 2 cups water vs 1:2 for corn sugar.  I got the idea from a visit to the Korbel winery in Sonoma Valley.  They prime the sparkling wine with grape juice vs sugar.  They claim the carbonation bubbles are smaller and its more true to the wine as grape juice is what wine is not beet/cane sugar.