Ugh, I need car help

SuzieQ

my daughter's car is officially dead, her mechanic told her not to drive it - it will cost close to $2000 to fix it and I don't think it's worth putting that much money into it.  My son will be able to arrange for a school to work on it and get it all done for free, but that will take time, and then we will be able to sell it.

Any way, my dilemma: I have a 2010 Matrix with 77 000 miles on it I could get between 7 and 9k for it.  I could "sell" it  (long story) to her for $8k and put that towards a Honda Fit which I have been looking at because they have better gas mileage than the Matrix and I have to drive quite a bit back and forth to the studio.  The Matrix is great in the snow, but I don't have to drive in the snow.   We went to Honda today and drove a new Fit they are great - but now I'm thinking I should also be looking at the Mazda 3.  

So if you had to choose between a Fit and Mazda 3, what would it be?  I'm only looking at hatch backs because that's what we both need.  

There are not many used Fit's out there, so should I just go new because the prices really don't drop much on used?

I have to make this decision rather quickly because I am now driving a rental while she drives my car.  She's under 25 and it would cost her double to rent a car.

Oh, and somebody on this forum was supposed to do all this homework for his daughter and I was just going to wait to see what he came up with, but he's way to slow.

Well...my co-worker was the one who suggested Mazda to me...and I was looking at the 3 when someone suggested the 6.... Which in going from my truck the step down was probably better..BUT the Mazda 3 I test drove was sweet...they don't go Zoom Zoom in their commercials for nothing.   Ask Scooter he has Mazdas too.

I do have a friend with a fit...it was her first ever brand new car....I don't think is too happy with it's snow performance but she likes the gas mileage.

If you're considering the Fit and the Mazda3, you might want to test drive the Hyundai Accent or Kia Rio.  They don't rank as high as the Fit, and the gas mileage is slightly lower, but they don't cost as much either.  I owned an Accent, did the scheduled maintenance, and was happy with it until a tree fell on it.

If your daughter is going to 'buy' your Matrix, I would suggest she arrange to get a loan from a local bank or credit union.  That way you get the money up front for your new car and your financial health isn't dependent on your daughter's finances (which are not under your control).

• Heart 2

If you're considering the Fit and the Mazda3, you might want to test drive the Hyundai Accent or Kia Rio.  They don't rank as high as the Fit, and the gas mileage is slightly lower, but they don't cost as much either.  I owned an Accent, did the scheduled maintenance, and was happy with it until a tree fell on it.

If your daughter is going to 'buy' your Matrix, I would suggest she arrange to get a loan from a local bank or credit union.  That way you get the money up front for your new car and your financial health isn't dependent on your daughter's finances (which are not under your control).

I'm actually driving a Accent now, just not the hatch back (my rental)  

When my husband and I split up we left some money in an account for the kids - college, medical etc.  the money for her car will come out of there - so there's no issue with me getting paid for my matrix.

I would say look at the Civic - probably about the same price as Fit since they should be discounted much more heavily, and the mileage is just as good if not better.  I've sort of come to the same conclusion that used cars are just priced too high, but I just can't commit to a new car!  The Fit has had some great improvements for 2015, but IMO the Civic is a lot more car for similar money.  I've never had good luck looking at non-Hondas - they always seem to be priced higher for some crazy reason.

My next car, I'm hoping for a hatch as well, Suzie.  My Civic has been a paragon of reliability, but it's the feature I miss from both my Acura Integras; I need to carry things more than I need a back seat.

The Mazda3 has been rated as great year after year.  If you look used though, I would want at minimum the 2013 with the SkyActive 2.0 engine; that was the first hatch model to improve on the gas mileage.  The 2014-15 are the new design.  I'd stick with the 155hp engine because the 184hp model that's the step up means 18" wheels, and the corresponding insane tire prices (which don't last as long either).

The Fit is a great car too, and I'm really attached to the Honda label for reliability, but I think if I had a choice between the two, I'd probably pick the Mazda 3, especially if you like cars that are fun to drive.

• Heart 1

I'm a man so clearly I'm well-qualified to advise on car matters.

Don't they sell the Honda Jazz in the States ? This is a Hatchback and one which regularly receives high praise for its reliability and ability to carry loads.

It certainly would be my choice if in the market for a small, quality Hatchback.

• Heart 1

We switched from Toyota to Mazda eleven plus years ago. The Mazdas just fit our personalities better.

Blue is a 2012 Skyactiv 3sedan with a 6 speed manual. We're getting 38 mpg driving it like a race car. The only issue we've had was when the dealer stripped the head off the oil drain plug changing the oil. They replaced it free of charge. With over 100,000 fun miles so far, (only oil changes and tires), we have no plans to replace it anytime soon. :)

• Heart 1

We owned the 2010 Mazda 3 hatchback and would buy it again if we were in the market.  We bought the Tech package which was very sweet.  You don't need to take key out of your pocket/purse.  If it's in your possession you can lock/unlock the doors and start the car.  If the keys are in the car and you try to lock from outside the car, the system won't allow it as it knows the keys are inside the car.  The interior in more roomy than the Fit.  I will also add that we have owned a Hyundai at one time and I would never buy one again.  IMHO they're junk.

...AFAIK, both Honda and Mazda turn out solid product.  If it were me, I'd look at the dealership, and get some impression of how happy people have been with them, as well as how distant each is  from you.  I fix my own cars, pretty much, so it has only been in later life I bought new cars, but of the three we've bought that way, it turns out that the dealership and their service department are important to your overall car experience.  

And if you do not do your own repairs, I'd go new.  The warranties are pretty swell now, and it's difficult to judge a used car in terms of maintenance.

I'll jump in and say our Hyundai Sonata has been a great car.  It's the only car we own at the moment so we pay on all the recommended tuneups -- normally a waste of money -- but it's our one piece of transportation and it's got to be reliable -- but it's run like a champ. And the best part is we don't have any effing car payments.

No, turns out the car doesn't handle driving over traffic islands when drunk so well.  So if this is you, buy a vehicle with clearance.

in my Chevy pickup I can get drunk and drive over top of small tropical islands

get with the program and buy a REAL vehicle

Why is a hatchback a necessary feature?  Why not a wagon or somesuch?

wagons are generally going to be more $ because they are more car.  My Matrix and the fit are both the perfect size for us.  We both need hatchbacks because of stuff we carry around: dogs, yoga props etc for me, and ladders, shelving, shutter are just some of the stuff the girl child carries around when she does fairs etc to sell her etsy stuff

wagons are generally going to be more $ because they are more car.  My Matrix and the fit are both the perfect size for us.  We both need hatchbacks because of stuff we carry around: dogs, yoga props etc for me, and ladders, shelving, shutter are just some of the stuff the girl child carries around when she does fairs etc to sell her etsy stuff

Don't wagons have more hatchy room than hatchbacks?  You should get a big-ass suv like the other yoga teachers and not worry about the mileage.

• Heart 1

We owned the 2010 Mazda 3 hatchback and would buy it again if we were in the market.  We bought the Tech package which was very sweet.  You don't need to take key out of your pocket/purse.  If it's in your possession you can lock/unlock the doors and start the car.  If the keys are in the car and you try to lock from outside the car, the system won't allow it as it knows the keys are inside the car.  The interior in more roomy than the Fit.  I will also add that we have owned a Hyundai at one time and I would never buy one again.  IMHO they're junk.

What year Hy-un-dai-ai was that? scratch%20head.gif:dontknow:

What year Hy-un-dai-ai was that? scratch%20head.gif:dontknow:

2001.  Driving on the Interstate the speedometer would suddenly drop to zero negating the preset cruise control.  Dealer couldn't fix or admit there was a problem.  Whenever I brought the car in for scheduled service there was an add-on charge for washer fluid.  Even when I brought it in full.  The dealer seemed dishonest.  The car was plastic junk with electrical problems.  I moved on.

2001.  Driving on the Interstate the speedometer would suddenly drop to zero negating the preset cruise control.  Dealer couldn't fix or admit there was a problem.  Whenever I brought the car in for scheduled service there was an add-on charge for washer fluid.  Even when I brought it in full.  The dealer seemed dishonest.  The car was plastic junk with electrical problems.  I moved on.

My sister's POS was an 80s or 90s Excel, I think.  I guess they had a slow climb out of POSdom.

Imagine that, a dishonest car dealer.  Who would have thought?  A reputable dealer will have his hands full with a POS product but it seems they shy away from selling that type of car.  My experience with a dishonest dealership was a real education.  The product was a POS (Daewoo), everyone from the owner down to the salesmen, the service manager and the mechanics were both incompetent and dishonest.  They got what they deserved when they had to declare bankruptcy.