I find myself discouraged nearly beyond consolation

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

Today was the second day of Engineers' Week.  As yet not a single single card arrived in the mail and not a single individual has offered me any sort of celebratory greeting. 

:(  :(

Don't feel bad. System Administrator Appreciation Day (the last Friday in July) started July 28th, 2000.  I have yet to get so much as a beer out of it.

If I understand the role of an engineer, it is to create amazing work nobody else notices. When people notice, it probably means something has gone wrong, or it doesn't live up to its expectations.

(As a disclaimer, I'm not an engineer. I don't even play one on TV.)

Well, I've bee trying to make and send a card, but all these damned specifications are so contradictory and confusing. I can appreciate that to follow the design will result in a card that will withstand a direct nuclear strike, but it's going to take three years to build, requires unheard of amounts of Unobtanium to produce and it doesn't fit in the mailbox

I can appreciate that to follow the design will result in a card that will withstand a direct nuclear strike, but it's going to take three years to build, requires unheard of amounts of Unobtanium to produce

Wow, I can sympathize with you.  It's truly unfair they're asking you to construct such a lame card that's so weak and flimsy.  It sounds as if your engineers are trying to shave costs by cutting into the safety factors.  It will never get a UL 6734C listing, which requires the card to sustain no significant damage after two 15 minute immersions into the sun.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. (Except for RR :nyanya: )

Oh, and LoneWolf, I submitted it but we'll see if SW agrees to put System Administrator Day on the calendar....

I am truly sorry of your discouragement and feelings of neglect during this "engineers week".  I would attempt to console you but your thread title said you are nearly inconsolable.  As a realist, nearly inconsolable, translates to a ten percent or less chance of consoling success.  As an engineer I'm sure that you wouldn't attempt an engineering project with a 90% chance of failure.  So I will not even attempt to console you as I only have certain failure as a result.  Suck it up buttercup, there's always next year.

Stupid picture of a card I stole from some retail site would not post.  I like Thadmooseus Knuckleczsko as much as the next guy, but not enough to buy him a card.

Thanks for clarifying that.  I was going to have trouble going to lunch with that mystery still open.  

If you have to not buy a guy a Happy Engineers Week card, that was the one not to buy him.