Have you ever lived in a house that had a secret room?

Randomguy

My first house had a secret storage area, it wasn't big enough to be called a room.  It was cool when I discovered it, it had a light and an electrical outlet and a built in gun rack that held a half dozen guns.  I stored my guns there after I found it.

Do you have pictures?  Was there room enough in there to clean guns, or sit down on a chair and read the Anarchist Cookbook?

I also used to play a lot in downtown Lancaster with my jazz group, and one time Shirley at the Belevedere Inn showed us the tunnel system that connects all of the buildings downtown. The tunnels have been there since the American Revolution. Its where we hid shit from the Bristish.

The tunnels were also used during prohibition

It was pretty cool to go down there.

Many years ago we rented a house that had an edition added to the house with its own separate basement. With cement floors, lights, etc. The only access was a hidden door under a carpet in one of the closets. We wouldn't have even known if we hadn't replaced the carpeting. I dont even think the owner of the house (he bought it as a rental property) knew it was there. There were boxes of old stuff probably from the 40s or 50s, christmas decorations, old books, toys, etc down there. Pretty cool.

• Heart 2

When I was a kid I was going through a closet in the basement workshop of my parents split-level home. I noticed in the dark that there was no back wall to the closet.  Of course, this required exploration so I climbed in with a flash light and found my way along a wall of shelves full of my dads wine and mead making supplies and 50 or so one gallon bottles in various stages of fermentation.  Once past the wine, I came across a shelf with a bunch of laundry supplies, climbed in and saw some light around what looked light cupboard doors. I pushed on one and found my way into the basement laundry room.

I had no idea this area and secret passage way even existed and it was a great adventure.  I was about 5 at the time. :)

• Heart 1

I have a secret cubbyhole.  It is a byproduct of the unusual way that my cabinets were constructed.  I have thought about hiding stuff in there, but if I die (still can't be sure that I will), no one would likely ever find what I hid in there.  

You sound like John Wayne Gracey.

I also used to play a lot in downtown Lancaster with my jazz group, and one time Shirley at the Belevedere Inn showed us the tunnel system that connects all of the buildings downtown. The tunnels have been there since the American Revolution. Its where we hid shit from the Bristish.

The tunnels were also used during prohibition

It was pretty cool to go down there.

...there's a whole section of the downtown/old town here in the Big Tomato that has a buried network of basements and tunnels that are left over from when they raised the area by filling it in order to solve the problems of flooding that plagued the early city in wetter years.  WE used to have to go down there to pull out the drunks when I worked for fire here, but a lot of it is sealed off now.

One of the most unusual places I've been was a small room accessible via a 2 foot wide stairway with only two landings that was about 100 feet above a church altar.  For a 'floor' the room had stained glass panels which actually formed the ceiling when the people looked up from the altar far below.  A wooden beam about 18" wide  ran out to the center of the 'room'.  It supported the stained glass panels on one end; smaller radial beams and the walls supported the panels on the sides.

The original construction had panes of clear glass about 8 feet above the stained glass, but they leaked so badly another traditional solid roof was built over the glass.  This of course cut off the sunlight and darkened the stained glass, severely muting all the colors.

My job was to climb up to that room and out on that beam, and install a lighting system that would again illuminate the stained glass so people could again appreciate its beauty.  I found it a bit disconcerting at first - thinking about how a slip off the beam would drop me through the stain glass to the floor 100 feet below (especially since I'm a little off the beam to begin with). 

In this picture they have the lights above the stained glass shut off.  The room I mention is just above the peak in the arch.

And here's what it looks like when the stained glass is lit up.