So what was the point?

SuzieQ

Yeah, SQ, why did you go starting trouble like that?

I was hoping that in between class I would come back to this thread and it would be solved, but no, it just disappeared and now I will never know what the point is!

...are there really people up to good ?  Do you know any ?

Yes, I am up to good - and this is one of the reasons I want to know what the point is of being up to good all the time and still failing, wth am I doing it all for?

• Heart 1

Yes, I am up to good - and this is one of the reasons I want to know what the point is of being up to good all the time and still failing, wth am I doing it all for?

Some people think that if they stopped being 'good' and turned to evil - or at least to immorality or abject selfishness -they would fare better and 'get ahead'.  I believe most people would fail more often because most people are more adept at being 'good' than being 'evil'.

I also believe, based on experience, that 'good' people by their example influence others more deeply and more often than they suspect.  Perhaps it might be worth the effort of being good for the possibility you'll positively influence any number of people who, in their turn, follow your example and do the same for others.

...here is a teaching I picked up along the way somewhere.  it is not my teaching, or at least not of my invention.

Virtue is its own punishment.  If you feel that you are failing at doing good, you might want to ask yourself if you have somehow defined an expectation of what is "good" to the point where it becomes an exercise in self defeat.  An attachment to "good" is no less an attachment, and as such, is the root of suffering.  Lighten up. live while you are still young and beautiful.  To dance is to live.dancing-smiley.gif

You are doing the right thing, or attempting to do right, simply because it is the right thing to do. And that is reason enough.
  • Heart 1

...here is a teaching I picked up along the way somewhere. it is not my teaching, or at least not of my invention.

Virtue is its own punishment. If you feel that you are failing at doing good, you might want to ask yourself if you have somehow defined an expectation of what is "good" to the point where it becomes an exercise in self defeat. An attachment to "good" is no less an attachment, and as such, is the root of suffering. Lighten up. live while you are still young and beautiful. To dance is to live.dancing-smiley.gif

I think you might be on to something.

Be excellent to everyone.