I got pulled over yesteray

a bunch of numbers

Yesterday, coming home from work a cop was behind me on my street.  When I first noticed him he was about 100yds back, a few seconds later when I checked again he was right behind me.  I'd been avoiding pot holes, and I'm thinking, "great, this guy's going to pull me for crossing the center line."  I put on my turn signal and pulled in my driveway, and sure enough, he pulls in behind me and turns on his lights.  I got out of my truck, he got out of the car and said, "Are you Mark?".  I said "No".  "What's your name." ... "Rick".  He looks back in his car at his computer, comes out and say's my name, I said, "Yeah, that's me." 

He was very polite and a very young kid... He walked up to me and said, "I ran your plate, and a warrent popped up."  I asked, "For what?!"  He didn't know.  He then proceeded to tell me, "Wait until my dispatcher gets back to me and I'll know if I need to take you in, or if it's from out of our pick up area." 

WTF!!??

He told me to get back in my truck and close the door until he the dispatcher got back to him.  Now... this is in my driveway, his police car is there with the lights on... 

A minute or two later, (seemed like an hour) he came to my window and said the warrent was for a Mark Baily, do I know him.  "No, I have no idea who that is." 

"The warrent isn't for you so you're free to go." 

But, What is it?  What the Hell do I do about this to get it off?  "Call the BMV."  he says.  Again, he was polite, and very professional.

This morning I called the BMV.  It didn't show up for them, they don't know what it is.  So I called the police department.  Whoever answered the phone ran my plate again, and confirmed the warrent was there.  Told me it was issued from Goshen Indiana.  Gave me the number to call them. 

Turns out, this guy used my SSN at some point when he was arrested, it's listed as an alias on his record.  And now there's a warrent out for his arrest.  Where he got my SSN from, I have no idea.  There were a number of places over the years that I've had accounts with who had their computers hacked and information stolen. 

So now I have to create a history with the federal government, the IRS, and my local police, that someone else has my SSN and has used it, because this will be with me the rest of life, it will not go away.  I checked my credit report tonight, and it looks right. 

When I asked the girl in Goshen how do I get this to go away, she told me it doesn't go away.  If this guy used it, and they're looking for him, he may use that number again, and it will always be associated with him, and his criminal record. 

Aint that a peach...

Consider approaching the problem from a different perspective.

Rather than trying to get the false information removed, it may be easier to change your social security number instead.

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3789/Can-I-change-my-Social-Security-number

Can I change my Social Security Number?

We can assign a different number only if:

• Sequential numbers assigned to members of the same family are causing problems;
  • More than one person is assigned or using the same number;
  • A victim of identity theft continues to be disadvantaged by using the original number;
  • There is a situation of harassment, abuse or life endangerment; or
  • An individual has religious or cultural objections to certain numbers or digits in the original number. (We require written documentation in support of the objection from a religious group with which the number holder has an established relationship.)

Consider approaching the problem from a different perspective.

Rather than trying to get the false information removed, it may be easier to change your social security number instead.

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3789/Can-I-change-my-Social-Security-number

Can I change my Social Security Number?

We can assign a different number only if:

• Sequential numbers assigned to members of the same family are causing problems;
  • More than one person is assigned or using the same number;
  • A victim of identity theft continues to be disadvantaged by using the original number;
  • There is a situation of harassment, abuse or life endangerment; or
  • An individual has religious or cultural objections to certain numbers or digits in the original number. (We require written documentation in support of the objection from a religious group with which the number holder has an established relationship.)

I was reading about that too.  The third bullet point I think would be what I'd have to have happen in order to change my SSN.  I hope it doesn't come to that.

The thing is, and these are questions I'll probably never get answered... I don't know if he bought my number somewhere, made it up, or someone entered his number wrong at some point. 

Given a fair number of criminals aren't particular bright, I'd suspect he just made it up.

Problem is most police departments don't place correcting erroneous social security numbers on their high priority list, even though it's on yours.  Trying to get it corrected could be an impossible task unless you personally know someone inside the department.

Oh for chrissake! This is the 21st century. SOMEone SOMEwhere should be able to clear that up!  Even an ASTERISK by his name. SOMETHING!  Dang the ineptness. ugh...

To paraphrase from a movie I once saw "We are the govenment.  We don't do that sort of thing."

I had a brief issue where some woman in Virginia must have pulled a fake SSN out of her skirt and it turned out to match mine.  Used it as part of a checking account and kited some checks, I had to deal with ChexSystems, who hid their phone number and made it really difficult to deal with...and yet banks use them, `cuz, security.  I agree, Rick, major PITA.