One day ago tomorrow...

kingtermite

I had surgery for my herniated disc. I hope to say it feels much better than it did on that day. If it does, what should I do to celebrate?

Are they removing anything?  Fusing anything?  Splicing you with alien DNA while they are in there?  Harvesting stem cells?  

What is the story?

Just so I understand correctly, you are posting from the OR?

no, but the surgery was yesterday morning.

They cut out the "disc jelly" that leaked out the back of my bottom most disc (L5/S1) that was herniated. The disc jelly was pushing on the nerves in my spine there. My wife talked to the surgeon afterwards while I was still out of it. Apparently there was some calcium/bone deposits somewhere that got in the way such that he had to cut a hole in my bone there in order to get to where he needed or something like that.

no, but the surgery was yesterday morning.

They cut out the "disc jelly" that leaked out the back of my bottom most disc (L5/S1) that was herniated. The disc jelly was pushing on the nerves in my spine there. My wife talked to the surgeon afterwards while I was still out of it. Apparently there was some calcium/bone deposits somewhere that got in the way such that he had to cut a hole in my bone there in order to get to where he needed or something like that.

Oh.  How are you feeling about now?

When do you expect to notice a difference?  I hope it is soon, the forum notices when you are grumpy, or not here, I think we all like it better when you feel good, if even on principle alone.

Yesterday was pretty rough. Sharp pain at incision site, deep ache/pain making it hard to move everywhere else in low back.

Feeling better today. Same pains, but a little less pronounced.

Did you wake up in a bathtub full of ice?  Was there a scent of margaritas and bourbon in the air?

• Heart 2

Ok, what pain meds are you currently enjoying? When can you start scissoring again?

I self scissored last night just to make sure I still could.

Taking same pain meds i had before, only bigger dose.
Methocarbamol (robaxin) 750 mg x6 per day
Oxycodone (Percocet) 10 mg every 4-6 hours

Previous oxycodone dose was 5mg.
  • Heart 1