So what is the deal with Spotify?

Randomguy

Great app in theory. they have just about all music ever made on there and you can get to it any time. The pc app is free (with ads). If you want it on a mobile device, it's $9.99 / month, IIRC.

I had mobile app for a while, but decided I didn't use it enough to justify paying.

Great app in theory. they have just about all music ever made on there and you can get to it any time. The pc app is free (with ads). If you want it on a mobile device, it's $9.99 / month, IIRC.

I had mobile app for a while, but decided I didn't use it enough to justify paying.

I just signed up for the free trial.  RB likes music, and I just got a bluetooth speaker dealie so I figure that since itunes is a royal pain in the ass, I would try spotify.

I just signed up for the free trial.  RB likes music, and I just got a bluetooth speaker dealie so I figure that since itunes is a royal pain in the ass, I would try spotify.

They have all kinds of CDs and various mxes. I played some creepy Halloween music while passing out candy last year. I'd bet they have mixes for babies too, even Random ones.

They have everything you have and lots more.

Who cares? What I want to listen to, I have. The fact that they have the entire Taylor Swift catalog is irrelevant. And I bet I have a lot of stuff that they don't.

....and I don't have to hit my data plan to listen or pay for the non-commercial version that actually allows me to skip stuff....and I can listen where there is no signal....

Highly unlikely unless its some band that doesn't have any albums. Do you put your tape recorder in front of the stage for bar band you're a roadie for?

I buy a lot of stuff from indie artists who play a venue where I volunteer. Besides, they make way more on it when I buy directly from them, than they do from Spotify.

I buy a lot of stuff from indie artists who play a venue where I volunteer. Besides, they make way more on it when I buy directly from them, than they do from Spotify.

Spotify has TONS of indie artists. It's not just mainstream. That's Pandora.

No argument about making sure the money gets to the indie artist though.

Spotify has TONS of indie artists. It's not just mainstream. That's Pandora.
No argument about making sure the money gets to the indie artist though.

Quite a few of them were on there, but some weren't. TBH, I don't remember why, but I had the app, used it for a day or so and nuked it.

I've used Grooveshark before - that's kind of meh, too.

Pamdora had such promise. When I first started using it, it tipped me to a bunch of new artists I'd never heard before....then it just started repeating itself and regurgitating the artists I used to set my "stations". Plus, the whole "station" idea sucks because it pigeonholes you to one genre, whereas my two favorite albums last year one was Americana and the other was Prog and I think nothing of listening to them back to back. There aren't any "stations" that neurotic.

SO got XM free with her new car....and inside of a week decided that, when the time comes, that's not going to get renewed.

I don't know what it is like now but when I had it the music was ok but it wanted to dominate your whole time on the computer.  I uninstalled it. It was annoying.  I don't know what settings they have that I could have changed (I hate browsing settings on stuff) but as originally downloaded it shared everything I ever listened to with all my facebook friends and everything they listened to was listed in my notifications.  You know what?  I don't care what they listen to and they don't care what I listen to. They don't have music that isn't available elsewhere without all the crap.

• Heart 2