sirius question for medical peeps

Parsnip Totin Jack

I has a question regarding routine medical care.  My exposure to medical care is limited to the rare occasions when I need to see a doctor, which is not very often.  Yesterday my wife went to the doctor to have a subcutaneous cyst looked at.  The cyst is under the skin of her left deltoid and is painful to the touch.  The doctor did not have the equipment at her office and sent wife to the emergency room to have it drained.  I took my wife there because she was nervous about the whole thing.  She was admitted, we saw RNs, PAs and Drs.  The Drs didn't think it needed to be drained, it wasn't 'ripe' enough.  They gave her some fluid and drip antibiotics.  Asked her pain level on a 1 - 10 scale.  My wife said 3, it's not real painful but it hurts.  They came back with some morphine and squirted that into the IV.  Isn't that overkill for the pain level?  My wife told the RN not to do that again.  My wife did not like the loopy feeling.  I keep hearing about American's addiction to opiates and the heroin problem in the OKI region.  Hasn't anyone told the medical community that morphine shouldn't be given out like Halloween candy?  It doesn't seem right to me. 

I know a CT/x-ray tech who was always frustrated with the ER giving people morphine prior to medical imaging exams. If the patient needed to stand for the exam (chest x-ray), they were so loopy they could hardly stand. Small example, but yes, you are right. Too quick with the heavy meds.

And it was ridiculous to send your wife to the ER for that procedure. And good for your wife for sticking up for herself about the morphine!!

This is one thing that is driving me crazy as I am going through classes and doing observer/working in the hospitals for class credits... I have seen people (Dr, and head nurses) just give meds to people to shut then up... No wonder our country is the most addicted to prescription medication on the planet... IMO, If you have a little pain... deal with it, if you have a lot of pain, then the meds should be handed out... No one needs pain meds for a hangnail, but we will be happy to give you something for it! 

Sorry rant is over and back to the OP... 

There are some medical professionals that do not like conformation and will just give you something to get you out their doors. The ones that refuse to give medication out for the littlest things... They are the ones I want to learn from and work with

They get crap loads of money just by letting you onto their property! 

I can guarantee they are charging you $100 for Ibuprofen... and over $200 for the good stuff... the medical world is more of a rip off then talking with a lawyer. 

It all comes down to push the meds if you got em, screw the general public because we do not want complaints, and make them feel well fast because we have two hundred people to see... push them out the door... 

It is sad for me to say I want to be in that line of work, and even more sad to say that doctors in third world countries care for their people more then we do... 

Everything here is rush rush, next next.... 

If a Dr would take 5 min with a person, they could get a better diagnosis to help and less drugs will be pushed. They try a one time cure all and hope not to see you again!