Back to my old LBS

TrentonMakes

In the 2000s when I was riding a lot I used to frequent an LBS that was midway between home and work - easy to stop by on the way home.  They used to have a big ol' hound dog hanging around.  I love places of business that have pets.  

But I had some issues with this shop - and based on the "three strikes" rule I wrote them off.

My daughter's scout troop had a visit to the same shop this weekend and I went with her (took my son along).  I hadn't set foot in the place in at least 8 years - I have to say it was nice to see the place - aside from a relocated sales counter it looks the same.  No one I remembered was working there but I see it's the same husband-and-wife owners.  I had fun showing my son the expensive bikes (including a FS MTB for $12K), and he enjoyed the shralpin video that was on.

I plunked down $12 for a new pair of sorely needed MTB grips... we'll see if I end up going back.

....hm.  Boring story is boring.  oh well.

• Heart 1

I lost my LBS the day after Thanksgiving (a true Black Thursday).  They closed up :(   They were only 3 miles from the house.  The owner was a great guy.  Several yeas ago he took over a splinter cycling group looking for a home and treated them (and eventually me) very well.  I hope you have good luck with your second go around with this LBS, Trenton.

• Heart 1

Was the dog still there?  I love independently owned places.

​No, given the time that elapsed since my last visit, I'm sure that dog has long since passed away. :(

I both live and work at different places than when I used to frequent this shop, but it's still pretty much the most convenient one for me.  Wonder if the owners will remember me.

I find myself stopping at Performance or REI near work for stuff I need. (Tires, tubes, etc,) 

But recently I took a few of my older bikes to our LBS for tune ups. Its stuff I could have done myself, but I've been putting it off because I'm too lazy. I didn't realize that since the last time I was there, that he had moved to a smaller, less expensive location due to slow sales. I really need to shop there more often. :(

​No, given the time that elapsed since my last visit, I'm sure that dog has long since passed away. :(

I both live and work at different places than when I used to frequent this shop, but it's still pretty much the most convenient one for me.  Wonder if the owners will remember me.

​I'd say there is a decent chance, given your position on the height bell curve. :)

• Heart 1