Should I adopt a cat

SuzieQ

How old is the cat and do you have any indication that it will be good with the idea of Nixie?

​The cat is around about a year old and it's foster mom has seven dogs at the moment and kitty no care :)

​The cat is around about a year old and it's foster mom has seven dogs at the moment and kitty no care :)

​They will, after an adjustment period when the cat learns that the dog won't step on it and the dog learns how sharp cat claws are, probably become fast friends.

Edited by maddmaxx

If you could afford to treat it if it needed vet care then yes.  Most everything else will take care of itself,

​This is one of my concerns - I can afford regular vet care, but not sure about extra vet care if the need arose - of course I would take money out of savings if an animal of mine needed.

• Heart 1

I will say that, although cats are truly disgusting creatures, they can be mildly amusing at times and might be fine for Nixie to hang out with.  I probably would have had one at some point if I wasn't allergic, although I am reminded how disgusting they are every time I visit a friend with one or stop by to watch his cats while he is out of town.

If you like the kitty, why not?

I will say that, although cats are truly disgusting creatures, they can be mildly amusing at times and might be fine for Nixie to hang out with.  I probably would have had one at some point if I wasn't allergic, although I am reminded how disgusting they are every time I visit a friend with one or stop by to watch his cats while he is out of town.

If you like the kitty, why not?

​Allergies are something to consider.  Many cool people like RG and me are allergical to catz.

​Allergies are something to consider.  Many cool people like RG and me are allergical to catz.

​I couldn't stay with you guys if you added the kitty, this bums me out.   :(

RW is freaked about cats in general, though, she irrationally thinks they will scratch RB to death.  I think getting scratched for petting a cat too vigorously might be a decent lesson, one which every kid eventually experiences.  RW is still kind of freaked out about dogs with RB, too, and this pisses me off.

​I couldn't stay with you guys if you added the kitty, this bums me out.   :(

RW is freaked about cats in general, though, she irrationally thinks they will scratch RB to death.  I think getting scratched for petting a cat too vigorously might be a decent lesson, one which every kid eventually experiences.  RW is still kind of freaked out about dogs with RB, too, and this pisses me off.

​Daughter #2 got a bad scratch on her face from a dog.  You do have to be careful with unproven dogz.

​Nixie would overwhelm RB, this I am sure of.  That dog has love to spare!

​Those two would make a very cute dog/baby video!  Those things are cool. :)  Show a few of those to RW and the ear to ear grins on the babies' faces will change her mind!

But soon you will have to change her name to RT.

Edited by The Inedible Bulk

​Yup, I'm also allergic to cats... except for Phoenix's. For some reason Kelly doesn't bother me. She's the only cat I've ever been around that didn't send me into a sneezing fit.

One of the great things about cats is they are self sufficient.  You never need to take them out for a walk.

We have a modest size house with a full basement, so we can keep our litter boxes in the basement.  We have 5 litter boxes for 4 cats and change them twice a week.  If you live in a smaller house or an apartment you'd want to change them / it daily.

Our house does not smell like cats or a litter box.  They are all scaredy cats, if you were to come to my house you'd never know we had pets.

​Yup, I'm also allergic to cats... except for Phoenix's. For some reason Kelly doesn't bother me. She's the only cat I've ever been around that didn't send me into a sneezing fit.

​My allergies always come and go.  Lately katz have not been nearly as bad as they used to be for me.  30-40 yearz ago cat hair was deadly to me!

...in all the years I had dogs, we were never without one or two cats in addition.  But these animals usually grew up together.

If your cat is dog smart already, and your dog seems to be not aggressive, I can't imagine why, like Maxx said, they would not adapt well to each other.I had one dog/ cat combo where the dog had lived with them as kittens, and used to grab the cats and lick their heads.  I don't know why they put up with it.

You should let a cat adopt you. 

I love cats. The have an attitude that I absolutely love. They need your care just like a dog, but they aren't "needy". 

Dogs will eventually trust anyone that feeds them. Cats are a little more selective. 

​You do realize that they talk about you behind your back?

• Heart 1