Sorta pissed at my employer

Former member

The company is restructuring the bonus program, and my monthly bonus is almost certainly going to be less from now on. 

Currently my my bonus is based on my performance. If my location meets its monthly projection, I get a percentage of my sales. 

Under the new plan if we meet projections, I will receive a set amount that is equal to about 20% of what I normally receive, and far less than what I can make if we have a great month. 

In some months my bonus check would equal an extra 2 week paycheck. Now making my bonus is no real incentive to try harder. 

:(

We have a bonus incentive program too.  But I didn't meet any of my goals and still got it... and that's when I realized my manager gets his goals if we meet ours.  So in short, I don't think I have to meet my goals to collect because he wants to collect his.

When they cut your incentive you just do less, they will get the picture.  At least that seems to work where I work.

In the past if we were close to projections I would call my regular clients and try to get them in to see a new product, or even encourage my friends to make a purchase that I know they've been wanting. 

Now the bonus is a little pat on the back, and hardly an incentive. 

We have a bonus incentive program too.  But I didn't meet any of my goals and still got it... and that's when I realized my manager gets his goals if we meet ours.  So in short, I don't think I have to meet my goals to collect because he wants to collect his.

With my employer, if we met projections we all got a bonus based on our production. Now we get a bonus based on our position regardless of the individual productivity. 

Bonuses can blow. I am paid very highly for my current position. I do have a commission of the store if I meet our sales goals. My owner is an asshat though.

According to all indicators a 7% growth is expected in the retail/service jewelry industry. I usually like our goals to be set around 10-12% since that is reasonable strech above the norm, showing a good improvement for the overall store. Our store is quite consistent so month to month has little variation. February was a sticker. We don't do a brisk valentines, to be honest jewelry lost that a decade ago, and with only 28 days the month is usually a smaller one.

Our owner pulled a fast one, wanting the goal to be the same as January; historically our biggest month since after the holidays is when my highest repair sales happen. That was a 17.7% increase over February last year. Seemingly insurmountable. With several really good custom jobs and some high end watch services that fell into my lap I was able to get to the one yard line, missed goal by $240. Less than 0.5% off. So he got an incredible month and as a "nice try" I am getting half my normal commission. 

Fucker got a 2k savings off my commission by a technicality. Even though we had an increase of 17.2% over last year. He makes an additional 20k and I get stiffed.

Edited by goldendesign

It always pisses me off when they try to make money by cutting incentives. They only have to pay them when they're making money - you're not asking them for a slice, regardless of what business is like, 

I long ago gave up giving a shit about ours - after the fourth time when we "just missed" the bar. Oddly enough, they always seem to know just where to set that bar in January when they give us the goal.....

That sucks man.  It sucks that you actually have control of how well the company does, and yet you don't get rewarded for going above and beyond.

We have little to no control over how many donors we can do.  There are plenty of jokes around the office about going out to know some people off during slow times.  But in reality there is nothing we can do.

Our owner pulled a fast one, wanting the goal to be the same as January; historically our biggest month since after the holidays is when my highest repair sales happen. That was a 17.7% increase over February last year. Seemingly insurmountable. With several really good custom jobs and some high end watch services that fell into my lap I was able to get to the one yard line, missed goal by $240. Less than 0.5% off. So he got an incredible month and as a "nice try" I am getting half my normal commission. 

Fucker got a 2k savings off my commission by a technicality. Even though we had an increase of 17.2% over last year. He makes an additional 20k and I get stiffed.

In that situation I would have made a $240 purchase to make the goal. 

• Like 4

Do you know who I work for? The company is doing quite well. 

No, but I have a clue now.  :P

Anyway, if they are doing quite well then it's a bonehead management decision?  Hey, don't ask me why these rocket science decisions are made at the corporate level.

It always pisses me off when they try to make money by cutting incentives. They only have to pay them when they're making money - you're not asking them for a slice, regardless of what business is like, 

I long ago gave up giving a shit about ours - after the fourth time when we "just missed" the bar. Oddly enough, they always seem to know just where to set that bar in January when they give us the goal.....

​You would make an excellent case study for a college course in motivating people. :D

Most companies don't care about their employees.  They care about the bottom line.

I think they see us all as easily replaceable.  The days of caring are a thing of the past.  I am certain there are some smaller companies that truly care, but surely hard to find.

Most companies don't care about their employees.  They care about the bottom line.

I think they see us all as easily replaceable.  The days of caring are a thing of the past.  I am certain there are some smaller companies that truly care, but surely hard to find.

​The worst are the ones who try to trumpet aboot what a good place they are to work and it is all bullshit.

I think they see us all as easily replaceable.  The days of caring are a thing of the past. 

This.

​You would make an excellent case study for a college course in motivating people. :D

​I pointed out to someone the other day that every time they raise the amount of business they want to do, they cut staff. I said "Pretty soon, we'll be up to $100 million a year and the only one left will be Art!" (our janitor).

Someone recently asked me how my career was going.  I answered "It is so great,  I have became so happy, after I stopped giving a shit."  

It's the truth.  There are no incentives to work hard.  My boss gives me stellar reviews, but it never makes my paycheck fatter.  There are very few perks and it gets worse with every passing year.

• Like 1

Someone recently asked me how my career was going.  I answered "It is so great,  I have became so happy, after I stopped giving a shit."  

It's the truth.  There are no incentives to work hard.  My boss gives me stellar reviews, but it never makes my paycheck fatter.  There are very few perks and it gets worse with every passing year.

​Have you gutted a fish at your desk yet?  :D

• Like 1

This is disgustingly true.

I love this job, and my boss is a good friend(and fellow cyclist). We are riding and BBQing together later today. We'll have plenty to talk about today, that's for sure. 

​I think everyone would like this situation, except for the part about screwing everybody they can.  Fuckers.