Should I step outside my little world and consider cars other than Honda?

Ralphie

I'm thinking no, but maybe I am being too stuck in the mud.  Subaru's safety commercials have been working on me to a small extent, but what is there to gain from switching from an old reliable standby?  This is for my daughter, and all she really cares about is she would like a backup camera. 

Edited by The Inedible Bulk

I sort of have a bug up my ass about the long term reliability of a CVT, and that is the only automatic transmission available in Hondas now.  I might be totally off base, and they may outlast regular automatics which are no real prize for reliability either. 

The Subara Impreza might be nice for all wheel drive and maybe safety, but it also has a CVT, and is a couple thousand more than a Civic.  A Toyota Yaris is barely cheaper, but it does have a conventional automatic.  I am not quite ready to risk a Ford, and there seems to be little price advantage for doing so. 

I had a late 80's Subaru then an early 90's.  I liked the cars a lot but both had timing belts fail before the replacement interval.  That soured me on them but they may have come a long way since. I am Toyota fan now and have 3 in the family.  All have been very reliable and great fit and finish.  Honda makes great products though.

I had a late 80's Subaru then an early 90's.  I liked the cars a lot but both had timing belts fail before the replacement interval.  That soured me on them but they may have come a long way since. I am Toyota fan now and have 3 in the family.  All have been very reliable and great fit and finish.  Honda makes great products though.

​If they have that crash avoidance thing on the Impreza, that might be her. :D  Hmm - interesting on the belt failure.  I take it that did not ruin the engine?  Shirley they must use chains by now. :scratch head::dontknow:

The new Hot Fit is such a nice car - I test drove one with my daughter.  She managed to find a used one with 30 000 or so miles on it a 2012 and is very happy!  

I test drove one before I bought my CR-Z and if the Z was to be my only car I would have bought a Fit instead. Crazy amounts of room in such a small car!  (Besides, it would be cool to make jokes about having a Fit...)

• Heart 1

all she really cares about is she would like a backup camera. 

FWIW, the one in my Accord is much clearer than the one in our Traverse.  Which is unfortunate, because the view out the back of the Accord is good enough you don't need a camera.  Good luck parallel parking the Traverse without it.

CVT?  Automatic? there is another option....  B)  I haven't regretted my choice.

Look on Amazon and you can get a wireless camera for 100 bucks.  Just put the license plate frame on and plug the camera into the cigarette lighter.  Don't let that be a sticking point in a new car purchase.

If I were going to buy something other than a Honda new today it would probably be a Subaru.

My next vehicle will be a truck though.  I would love a 4x4 3/4 ton diesel but those are 30 G for a used one with 100K miles on it.  I seriously think that I will probably buy an old truck for me for my next vehicle.  I don't drive NEAR as much as I used to.  And once my kids start driving I will prob not drive much at all.  I absolutely love the old late 60's- early 70's Ford and Chevy trucks.  I think that I will buy one soon.  I will turn the Accord over to the G man with about 250K miles on it and I will drive the truck.  Compared to the prices of a new car I could buy a truck, put a modern drivetrain in it, put newer power disc brakes and modern AC in it.  That would be super dope.

​If they have that crash avoidance thing on the Impreza, that might be her. :D  Hmm - interesting on the belt failure.  I take it that did not ruin the engine?  Shirley they must use chains by now. :scratch head::dontknow:

​It was a matter of necessity - I was driving a rental and my daughter my car as her's was going to cost $1500 to get through inspection and her mechanic told her not to drive it!

FWIW, the one in my Accord is much clearer than the one in our Traverse.  Which is unfortunate, because the view out the back of the Accord is good enough you don't need a camera.  Good luck parallel parking the Traverse without it.

CVT?  Automatic? there is another option....  B)  I haven't regretted my choice.

​You wild man, you!  Pretty crazy for a Jerseyite. :D  Actually, that opens up a whole new world of options.  I could always let her drive the 2013 Civic, and I could buy a manual one, except that the Mrs. would not be happy, no not one bit. :( 

• Heart 1

I could buy a manual one, except that the Mrs. would not be happy, no not one bit. :( 

​I don't know that the Mrs. was too happy about my buying one - it is not her preference, though she can indeed do it.  She drove my 5-speed Jetta home to Hamilton/Trenton from the RI-CT line once, including the stop-n-go Cross-Bronx Expressway, and she did fine.  Now that car seats are out of the picture there hasn't been a need for her to drive my car.

All fun and cost considerations aside, in all this snow and ice lately I've been really happy to have the stick.

Edited by TrentonMakes

​I don't know that the Mrs. was too happy about my buying one - it is not her preference, though she can indeed do it.  She drove my 5-speed Jetta home to Hamilton/Trenton from the RI-CT line once, including the stop-n-go Cross-Bronx Expressway, and she did fine.  Now that car seats are out of the picture there hasn't been a need for her to drive my car.

All fun and cost considerations aside, in all this snow and ice lately I've been really happy to have the stick.

​My wife would want to drive it a lot more, because her main car is a 99 Odyssey, and it is just a lot nicer for short trips to take a car.  She also can do it but doesn't really like it, although she DID get one in our 1988 Accord that was her car.  Our other car at that time, an 89 Integra, was also standard.

I am on the fence - I love the reliability and fun to drive, but I also have gotten used to the easy life with an auto much easier than I thought I would, but it HAS been since 2004, although in 2006 I bought the manual del Sol, so I do still get my fix. :)

Hmm - in snow and stuff, I sort of prefer the auto.

Edited by The Inedible Bulk

I have a 2005 Subaru Outback.  This is the best snow car I have ever had, by far.  I just wish it had more character, and that lesbians didn't think I was a butch when I drive it.  Haven't had to do to much to it, you would be fine with a similar car.

When I move to a more useful state, I will reacquire a land-hugging gas-guzzling Landcruiser or equivalent (if there is one) again, snow be damned.