Poll: Is smoking dead?

Randomguy

Poll: Smoking is dead  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Is smoking dead?

• I smoke cigarettes, I like the manly qualities that the western-themed advertising suggests I have because I smoke
    • I smoke only when I am stupid or am drinking, because I am stupid like that
    • Nah, I don't smoke because I don't want to smell like crap all the time, plus you have to be kind of dim to smoke cigarettes
  2. 2. Other than cigarettes...

• I chew tobacco, spitting is sexy (swallowing is not advised)
    • Cigars, because sometimes a cigar is just a cigar
    • Not for me, I get the runs whenever I think about tobacco

Smoking is alive and well here in the Midwest.  It seems to be viewed as a healthy past time, better than exercise really.  Here in Ohio one in five smoke cigarettes.  It seems to be an accepted practice to toss burning cigarette butts out of car windows.  Then again, they seem to think it's ok to throw anything out the car window, it's really a trashy state.  In Kentucky, one in four smoke cigarettes.  Kentucky still permits patrons of bars, restaurants and taverns to smoke inside their establishments.  Which is great really because you get to enjoy the tobacco smoke without having to pay for the tobacco!

None of the answers in the poll really fit me.  I smoked for about 30 years and the 8 years in the Navy certainly did a lot to make that habit permanent.  I quit in 92 though and in the process of quitting found out what it was like to be an addict (nicotine).  I learned to hate smoking and what it did to me,  I don't care if others smoke as long as it doesn't foul my air.

I never had the desire to smoke. It seemed like a stinky, disgusting habit. When I worked with a couple of heavy smokers in the 1990s, I became even more repulsed by the smell of tobacco smoke. My wife had asthma and allergies which affected her breathing, so after working around smokers, I'd have to shower and change clothes as soon as I got home from work. For me, the smell of smoke was an annoyance; for her it was a health concern.

Smoking is alive and well here in the Midwest.  It seems to be viewed as a healthy past time, better than exercise really.  Here in Ohio one in five smoke cigarettes.  It seems to be an accepted practice to toss burning cigarette butts out of car windows.  Then again, they seem to think it's ok to throw anything out the car window, it's really a trashy state.  In Kentucky, one in four smoke cigarettes.  Kentucky still permits patrons of bars, restaurants and taverns to smoke inside their establishments.  Which is great really because you get to enjoy the tobacco smoke without having to pay for the tobacco!

​Thanks to Lloyd Bridges and Airplane!, every time I see that I prepare for the inevitable explosion. :D

• Heart 1

None of the answers in the poll really fit me.  I smoked for about 30 years and the 8 years in the Navy certainly did a lot to make that habit permanent.  I quit in 92 though and in the process of quitting found out what it was like to be an addict (nicotine).  I learned to hate smoking and what it did to me,  I don't care if others smoke as long as it doesn't foul my air.

​As a noob, your comment is understandable.  This is a hallmark of an RG poll.  Deal with it.

Do you walk to work or do you carry your lunch?

I quit smoking in 84, smoked a pack a day.  Fell off the wagon in the late 90s  smoked about a pack a week.

Quit for good 5 years ago. Now I can't stand the smell of people after they have a cigarette.