We Are Standing on the Verge

Nate

<Bigwood Nate moves to the podium to address the forum...>

As I stand here today, up to my ass in snow, with it being  a mere ten degrees below zero...I bring to you a message of Hope

This day, as we stand here freezing our asses off, this day is the last workday that we will come home and it will be dark shortly after we get there.

Yes, this is the last work day of Standard Time

This weekend we set our clocks ahead

Next week we will all be able to take a bike ride after work

Free at last, free at last...as soon as all this snow melts, we'll be free at last

<Bigwood Nate waves to the frantically celebrating crowd>

• Heart 2

Only problem is, around here it brings up the yearly bitch fest of whether we should be on Central or Eastern time and how we should've never went to daylight savings time to begin with.

PEOPLE, GET OVER IT AND MOVE ON!!!

what pisses me off is when young people who don't ever go outside or do shit anyway start bitching about daylight savings

I look forward to daylight savings time all winter long

what pisses me off is when young people who don't ever go outside or do shit anyway start bitching about daylight savings

I look forward to daylight savings time all winter long

​The problem here is where Indiana is geographically located on the border.  In the summer, it's nice until you actually have to get up in the morning, then that usually means going to bed before sunset since it's something like 10 before it goes down.  In the winter, if you are central time, it means darkness by like 4.  Really Eastern Standard year round worked the best here, but then when you deal with other states, it gets old trying to explain to them what time it is here because they are to freaking stupid to understand the idea you are on standard time year round, man that got freaking old.

• Heart 1

I generally enjoy the longer days, but I think DST starts too early now.  On Monday it will be daylight when I get home from work, yes, but we'll still be snow-covered and it'll be cold.  At this point I'd rather have the early morning sun for a couple more weeks.

Regardless, every day is longer than the one before it, and our forecast shows five consecutive 40-plus-degree days next week.  Bring on the melting.  (but don't bring it in our basement)

• Heart 1

​The problem here is where Indiana is geographically located on the border.  In the summer, it's nice until you actually have to get up in the morning, then that usually means going to bed before sunset since it's something like 10 before it goes down.  In the winter, if you are central time, it means darkness by like 4.  Really Eastern Standard year round worked the best here, but then when you deal with other states, it gets old trying to explain to them what time it is here because they are to freaking stupid to understand the idea you are on standard time year round, man that got freaking old.

Dear People From Indiana,

We hardy souls north of you have managed to survive and thrive with DST.  Personally I love it when it's light out at 10 pm DST.

Signed,

Your friends Neighbors

but I think DST starts too early now.  

its all fucked up because Congress changed the dates in 2007

turns out our grandparents (well, my grandparents anyway: The Greatest Generation) set it up pretty good. But then that generation actually stuck their heads outside and understood the daylight and the seasons. they didn't just arbitrarily move the start and end of daylight savings because some idiot on their staff showed them a government study.

I hope AZ stays with Mountain Std Time year round.  If we ever decide to go DLS, I REALLY REALLY hope we go to Pacific time.  that would give us the same daylight hours in the summer (and we dont need more daylight in the summer) and who cares in the winter.

Although a 1976 report by the National Bureau of Standards disputed the 1975 U.S. Department of Transportation study, and found that DST-related energy savings were insignificant, the DOT study continued to influence decisions about Daylight Saving Time.

The argument in favor of saving energy swayed Indiana, where until 2005, only about 16 percent of counties observed Daylight Saving Time. Based on the DOT study, advocates of Indiana DST estimated that the state’s residents would save over $7 million in electricity costs each year. Now that Indiana has made the switch, however, researchers have found the opposite to be the case. Scientists from the University of California, Santa Barbara, compared energy usage over the course of three years in Indiana counties that switched from year-round Standard Time to DST. They found that Indianans actually spent $8.6 million more each year because of Daylight Saving Time, and increased emissions came with a social cost of between $1.6 million and $5.3 million per year. Commentators have theorized that the energy jump is due to the increased prevalence of home air conditioning over the past 40 years, in that more daylight toward the end of a summer’s day means that people are more likely to use their air conditioners when they come home from work.

http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/c.html

...I never, ever knew this before.  Sounds like you got sold a high mileage idea as a little old lady's Sunday ride to church.:)

http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/c.html

...I never, ever knew this before.  Sounds like you got sold a high mileage idea as a little old lady's Sunday ride to church.:)

I can attest to the increased energy use.  The issue is that when the sun goes down so late, it doesn't cool off at night by the time you are going to bed, so in order to sleep, you are forced to crank the AC up to cool the house off enough to sleep.  Before the switch to DST, you could bare the heat a little because you could run fans as it cold off at night.

Eff daylight savings and eff the farmer.  No farmer is going to dictate my schedule.  

Just sayin'...

Ooops.  I did it again.  I'm turning a new leaf here.  Sorry.  What I meant to say was, "While I understand your concerns Nate, I'm not sure those views are held by the majority of the population.  But I can appreciate your position."

"While I understand your concerns Nate, I'm not sure those views are held by the majority of the population.  But I can appreciate your position."

​here...let me explain......

FUCK YOU :angry:

I hope this has clarified my position for you :)

• Heart 2

You are never going to save enough daylight that it will still be daylight when I get home from work.  There is a pretty bright moon tonight, not quite the same thing but with all the snow and the moonlight I can go out to the woodshed and bring in some firewood and walk out to the mailbox to get the mail without using a flashlight.  I still haven't figured out how changing the time on your clock is saving any daylight?