Au gratin or scalloped

Airehead

The wife's special smashed reds.

Microwave small reds for 3 to 5 minutes to soften.  Use masher once to squash (smash) down flat then rotate smasher 90 degrees to do it again.  You should now have a course pancake shaped smashed red.  Olive oil, pepper and cheese to taste.  Bake at 425 (hot is important) till done. (slightly crispy on outside)

Vary to personal taste, never do the same thing twice.

Edited by maddmaxx
  • Heart 2

• 3 years later...

At gratin contains cheese.   You can make them this way and still be kosher as long as the cheese was not made using rennet. This comes from the stomach lining of a cow.  Some cheese are made without it, like soft cheeses .  Cream cheese for example.   I bet there is now artificial rennet but I am not sure if that is kosher or not. Thank you Mrs. Friedman for helping me understand kosher in my childhood. 

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

At gratin contains cheese.   You can make them this way and still be kosher as long as the cheese was not made using rennet. This comes from the stomach lining of a cow.  Some cheese are made without it, like soft cheeses .  Cream cheese for example.   I bet there is now artificial rennet but I am not sure if that is kosher or not. Thank you Mrs. Friedman for helping me understand kosher in my childhood. 

So scalloped contains no cheese?  I am confused.

I didn't want to be bothered with thinking or actually cooking after looking at a few recipes, so I ad libbed the massive shortcut ways I thought might work.

I took my dutch oven and sliced some potatoes in, chopped up half an onion, took out some frozen asparagus and frozen broccoli, and took some sliced lunchmeat ham that RO didn't want and chopped it further for protein, and added some mozzarella and sharp cheddar cheese and milk, and shoved it in a 400 degree oven uncovered.

I am thinking that the oven's heat plus natural potato starches might thicken things in a saucy way.  My fallback thinking is that is might be kind of soupish, although I suppose I could stir some flour in if I have to.  I am fine with it either way, and I should get multiple meals out of this.

• Heart 2

Allz I know is that my mother always made what she called scalloped potatoes and they were very good, and cheesy. 

Hmm - scalloped keeps redirecting to au gratin, but near as I can tell scalloped means sliced, and both have cheese, but au gratin has the cheesy browned layer on top.

Why do they call them scalloped potatoes?
There is another explanation for how scalloped potatoes came to be called that. An older English word, “collops”, meant, among other things, slices of meat. It's very closely related to the French word, escalope. ... In Yorkshire, a dish called “collops” was thick slices of potato, fried until brown.

18 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Scalloped no cheese

au gratin with cheese

regionals differences may impact this answer. 

I looked it up.  Scalloped are with cream, au gratin is with cheese, technically speaking.  Sources also said that everybody is confused and there is a lot of cross-pollinating, so only french people know.

My dish is shaping up, once the potatoes are done I will only need some salt and pepper.  It is thickening slightly, but my brain was so battered and hungry that I didn't want to make a roux first.  Next time...

I made hash browns earlier.  They were real and they were spectacular.

• Heart 2