Cleaning up this site

Square Wheels

So, we've been around for a while and we slowly attract now members, very few of them women.  I suspect that is for at least a couple of reasons.  1: it's likely there are fewer women cyclists, and still fewer that post online.  I've seen this on other forums, and 2: there are many sexists posts here.

I myself am guilty of starting new posts that are considered sexist as well as perpetuating them.  It was brought to my attention (thank you) that this is happening.  I will not reveal who pointed this out to me, I will say it was one of our male members.

So, here's how it's going to go.  Since this will be a painful transition for many of you, it will start slowly, by gently reminding people that we are a site for both (all) genders and the post you have made may not be appropriate.  Please don't push your luck or you will be warned / banned.

For now the posts, including the bikini post, will remain, slowly they will either fade away or they will be closed.  We can create another private forum where you can post bikini and similar pics, it would again be a password protected forum so the posts don't come up on an internal search or get "Googled".

Please understand this new change and be thoughtful before you post.

Thank you

• Heart 2

We can create another private forum where you can post bikini and similar pics, it would again be a password protected forum so the posts don't come up on an internal search or get "Googled".

​I would suggest we call that Forum "Men Are Such Pigs".

Oh, wait.  I sincerely apologize to Wilbur.  In the interest of making this Forum less sexist, I regret my ugly animalist side surfaced.

I have shamed myself. :unhappy:

• Heart 2

​I would suggest we call that Forum "Men Are Such Pigs".

Oh, wait.  I sincerely apologize to Wilbur.  In the interest of making this Forum less sexist, I regret my ugly animalist side surfaced.

I have shamed myself. :unhappy:

​Are you using ugly in a negative context? I could totally take offense to that you know...

​I will not reveal who it was (or wasn't), ever.  I also suggest they keep it between me and them.

We will blame Kzoo and tell him you told us it was him.

​Are you using ugly in a negative context? I could totally take offense to that you know...

​It was rude and unthinking of me. I apologize for my shortcomings, for which I am solely responsible.

Not only have I unwittingly offended Ugly Bob, but also all ugly Bobs, all animals, all ugly animals, and <hangs head in remorse> all ugly animals named Bob.

I have no way to express the depth of my regret; I fear no penance can redeem me.

• Heart 2

I have been cycling for well over 20 years.  Shoot, it's going on 30, but I don't want to date myself too much.   Women are outnumbered by men dramatically in this sport.  That being said, I have had to get used to my share of being made fun of by the guys and have had to learn to hold my own with that.  Some of the guys I have hung out with can be crude and I have heard it all. In a way I am guilty of the sexist talk as well.  Example:  calling people pussies when they are weak.  Now, I have a pussy, but I am a very strong girl.  Hell, I can probably whip some of you on the bike, even with this head cold, but I I digress.  My point is that it isn't that big of a deal.  With the exception of a few posts, I don't think I have been offended by posts about women on this site, or the other place that also has it's share of sexist threads objectifying women.

I was talking to a good friend tonight on the phone and the topic of objectifying women came up.  I can't remember the exact dialogue but I said that women's bodies are more of a work of art and that is why there are more pieces of artwork of women's bodies.  My friend said it was cause men were doing the art.   However, I think Elaine said it best in regards to the human body.  

• Heart 2

Meh, I'm ok with it. I know I"m not interested in the bikini thread. I know to stay away from most Nate threads. I am pretty comfortable with the guys here. I don't like when they push DH and her enthusiasm a little to hard (for MY comfort level); but then I know she can out ride/shralp them any day, and I know they know she is a supremely better athlete than most of us here. So ya, I'm ok wit youse guys. B)

P.S. Having said that, thanks SW (and mystery person) for remembering there ARE ladies here.

• Heart 1

I guess I would complain about serial OPs.

"Oh, I just ******! I'll make a new thread on SWC to see how that gets received"

Five minutes later: "Oh! I just had a random thought that was maybe just a brain fart BUT WHO CARES? I'll make a new thread on SWC. They are OP friendly!"

Well if you have seen the 2005 movie "North Country" or read the 2002 book "Class Action".....I worked in that environment ...well a similar one during the summers 1977-1982...It was quite sexist..not as bad as the movie experience because it was a new plant that opened in 1976...and my mom worked at the plant...we were the "kids" of some of the workers... 

As far as this place goes...I avoid some posts or posters..because of experience.  I hope sexism wouldn't chase someone away...but on the other hand one should not have to endure it...just so they can enjoy other aspects of this place.

• Heart 1

Meh, I'm ok with it. I know I"m not interested in the bikini thread. I know to stay away from most Nate threads. I am pretty comfortable with the guys here. I don't like when they push DH and her enthusiasm a little to hard (for MY comfort level); but then I know she can out ride/shralp them any day, and I know they know she is a supremely better athlete than most of us here. So ya, I'm ok wit youse guys. B)

P.S. Having said that, thanks SW (and mystery person) for remembering there ARE ladies here.

​Thanks, Sistah!  That was super sweet to say.  :wub:

• Heart 1

So, we've been around for a while and we slowly attract now members, very few of them women.  I suspect that is for at least a couple of reasons.  1: it's likely there are fewer women cyclists, and still fewer that post online.  I've seen this on other forums, and 2: there are many sexists posts here.

I myself am guilty of starting new posts that are considered sexist as well as perpetuating them.  It was brought to my attention (thank you) that this is happening.  I will not reveal who pointed this out to me, I will say it was one of our male members.

So, here's how it's going to go.  Since this will be a painful transition for many of you, it will start slowly, by gently reminding people that we are a site for both (all) genders and the post you have made may not be appropriate.  Please don't push your luck or you will be warned / banned.

For now the posts, including the bikini post, will remain, slowly they will either fade away or they will be closed.  We can create another private forum where you can post bikini and similar pics, it would again be a password protected forum so the posts don't come up on an internal search or get "Googled".

Please understand this new change and be thoughtful before you post.

Thank you

You are probably right with your first reason why there are so few women on this forum. 

Close to 85% of adult cyclists are men, so I wouldn't expect the forum membership to be any better than that. 

Good luck with your mission to get more women to become members. 

• Heart 1

Actually, it's more likely one of the FNGs that got their panties all bunched up. 

Probabaly that sheep loving Scot that gives advice that no one asked for. 

​Not guilty I'm afraid but thanks for thinking of me.

That said, as a totally reconstituted man I applaud the decision and stand side by side with my sisters in this forum. :nod head:

That you should denigrate me for my sexuality is absolutely disgraceful and you should be ashamed..........do I complain about you predilection for Ducks? ........no Sir I do not.

• Heart 1