Cleaning up this site

Square Wheels

​I remember Rich from Peoria (or some name like that) that got banned from another un-named forum for posting food pictures.

I just don't want to see this place become as G-rated as that other place. 

I once got an infraction because I recommended another poster to try riding only at night because he was worried about UV Rays fading his bar tape. 

I hope this isn't a slippery slope we are getting into here. 

• Heart 1

So now people that post here will stop objectifying women they don't know?  Are the women going to stop objectifying men they don't know?  Damn, I am sure the server is going to absolutely shut down from all the chicks signing up, now that bikinis are off-limits.  

It may be the last time, btw, this is completely stupid and horrendous.  Censorship is something I am deeply uncomfortable with.

Moooooo

Edited by maddmaxx

I drive by from time to time to check in on the happenings and just noticed this thread.

I would say there are some threads/comments which push boundaries, but the most are in harmless fun IMO.  The majority of folks here were previously members (some are still BI) of the LF and the same types of threads/comments were posted there too.  I have read some comments in threads and I have found them completely rude, even if they were meant with tongue in cheek. If someone has an issue with a post, take it offline with a PM, or just ignore that person.

By starting a new section, Mens Locker Room (which sounds stupid by the way), you are in sense blaming the classroom for one or two bad apples.  Instead of playing doG, patrol the bad apples.

Now you are going to have folks tip-toeing to make sure they don't offend anyone.

Peace Out.

It's rare that we agree on anything, but you hit the nail right on the head with this post. 

I just don't want to see this place become as G-rated as that other place. 

I once got an infraction because I recommended another poster to try riding only at night because he was worried about UV Rays fading his bar tape. 

I hope this isn't a slippery slope we are getting into here. 

​In this respect I like the LF Old Country.  It was never overmoderated, just boring as heck!  Mainly for the same reason as here, plain old lack of traffic.  But it was basically the land of the free.  I agree that censorship can drive people away. Sure, SW is paying for and working hard for the forum, so strict free speech doesn't apply, but the bottom line is a heavy hand is anathema to independent George posters.

​In this respect I like the LF Old Country.  It was never overmoderated, just boring as heck!  Mainly for the same reason as here, plain old lack of traffic.  But it was basically the land of the free.  I agree that censorship can drive people away. Sure, SW is paying for and working hard for the forum, so strict free speech doesn't apply, but the bottom line is a heavy hand is anathema to independent George posters.

I wasn't talking about the LF, but the other bike forum some of the newbs have come from. This forum has been a better place, and a happy medium of those two places. 

When people keep P&R posts out of the cafe, it is usually a good place. I'm a tiny bit concerned that this place might become over moderated. 

I wasn't talking about the LF, but the other bike forum some of the newbs have come from. This forum has been a better place, and a happy medium of those two places. 

When people keep P&R posts out of the cafe, it is usually a good place. I'm a tiny bit concerned that this place might become over moderated. 

​I know - I am quite aware of all you refugees from the overmoderated place. :D  I truly feel bad for you. 

I was never all that bothered by politics and religion posts, I just steered clear of them most of the time.  And I agree, this place has been very pleasant.

• Heart 1

I think just about everybody knows what a pendulum is.

I thought the pendulum swung a bit to far toward leniency for some threads.  I also think it's swung a bit too far to the opposite with the latest direction.  I'm also confident SW will get the hang of things.

I understand the concern with attracting new people to the Forum - and in particular ladies - when some of the threads might be considered offensive.

But

I would think that a new person to this site would be equally unnerved - or offended - when they saw a password protected Forum entitled "Men's Locker Room".  "What kind of site intentionally sets up a place specifically for men to be crude and to denigrate women? Really?" would be a reasonable question that new people might find bouncing around their minds...  And then they would feel they have good reason to leave and not come back.

SInce it's already set up, it's probably best to leave it for a while to see if anybody uses it.  At least it gives SW a place to dump potentially "offensive" posts.

To avoid negative connotations that a "Men's Locker Room" might give new people, I would very strongly suggest that a "Women's Locker Room" or some similar password protected Forum be set up immediately as well to avoid the impression I mentioned two paragraphs above.  I know sometimes I kid around, but I am serious on this one.

• Heart 2

I think just about everybody knows what a pendulum is.

I thought the pendulum swung a bit to far toward leniency for some threads.  I also think it's swung a bit too far to the opposite with the latest direction.  I'm also confident SW will get the hang of things.

I understand the concern with attracting new people to the Forum - and in particular ladies - when some of the threads might be considered offensive.

But

I would think that a new person to this site would be equally unnerved - or offended - when they saw a password protected Forum entitled "Men's Locker Room".  "What kind of site intentionally sets up a place specifically for men to be crude and to denigrate women?" would be a reasonable question that new people might find bouncing around their minds...  And then they would feel they have good reason to leave and not come back.

SInce it's already set up, it's probably best to leave it for a while to see if anybody uses it.  At least it gives SW a place to dump potentially "offensive" posts.

To avoid negative connotations that a "Men's Locker Room" might give new people, I would very strongly suggest that a "Women's Locker Room" or some similar password protected Forum be set up immediately as well to avoid the impression I mentioned two paragraphs above.  I know sometimes I kid around, but I am serious on this one.

​I say ix-nay on the ockerrooms-lay.

• Heart 2

​First of all, you allowed your wife to infiltrate this world, killing independent George.

Secondly, it is juvenile, because we all feel juvenile from time to time.  It is also joyous in a way, too, and also topical.  When the forum seems slow to me, I will hunt up a couple of bikini pics that are related to the season, or related to a recent post or spate of posts, and often the forum will get more lively and people may stick around more often.  Of course your wife doesn't want you to even know about the existence of other women.

Also, as often stated, the chicks or gay dudes here were always welcome to start a shirtless firemen thread any time they wanted.

​What you may not be aware of is I'm a 47-48 year old kid who can raise hell when need to.  I hear ya RG. And my wife is not going to stop me from looking at all the Christmas trees.  I'm not dead.  The day my light bulbs burn out is the day I move to Scotland and snuggle with onebike.

​What you may not be aware of is I'm a 47-48 year old kid who can raise hell when need to.  I hear ya RG. And my wife is not going to stop me from looking at all the Christmas trees.  I'm not dead.  The day my light bulbs burn out is the day I move to Scotland and snuggle with onebike.

​I just want to say right now that this is not an option.

Such threats can do untold damage to a man of my age.

So, we've been around for a while and we slowly attract now members, very few of them women.  I suspect that is for at least a couple of reasons.  1: it's likely there are fewer women cyclists, and still fewer that post online.  I've seen this on other forums, and 2: there are many sexists posts here.

I myself am guilty of starting new posts that are considered sexist as well as perpetuating them.  It was brought to my attention (thank you) that this is happening.  I will not reveal who pointed this out to me, I will say it was one of our male members.

So, here's how it's going to go.  Since this will be a painful transition for many of you, it will start slowly, by gently reminding people that we are a site for both (all) genders and the post you have made may not be appropriate.  Please don't push your luck or you will be warned / banned.

For now the posts, including the bikini post, will remain, slowly they will either fade away or they will be closed.  We can create another private forum where you can post bikini and similar pics, it would again be a password protected forum so the posts don't come up on an internal search or get "Googled".

Please understand this new change and be thoughtful before you post.

Thank you

I know that this thread has a lot of posts in it and I didn't read them all, so excuse me if this has been covered already but...

does this new policy mean that I can't refer to those members of this forum who have an attached dumbstick (i.e., men) as just vibrators with wallets?

• Heart 1

Hey, So how am I to self identify then?

Actually I am all of that and wash dishes and take the garbage out, too.

Plus I bring money home and still get bitched at for speaking too sharp. I'm supposed to have a reverential, supplicating tone at all times it seems.

• Heart 1

Plus I bring money home and still get bitched at for speaking too sharp. I'm supposed to have a reverential, supplicating tone at all times it seems.

​...the self identification category you are searching for is pussy whipped.  Don't ask how I know, but I do.:blush:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

​You really fuucked up in your choice of spouses.  Lackey.

I know that this thread has a lot of posts in it and I didn't read them all, so excuse me if this has been covered already but...

does this new policy mean that I can't refer to those members of this forum who have an attached dumbstick (i.e., men) as just vibrators with wallets?

​I could not find a vibrating wallet, but I did find this for you.

dick tracy wallet.jpg

• Heart 1

I was never all that bothered by politics and religion posts, I just steered clear of them most of the time.

​I ended up walking away from one forum in the past (and no, I won't say which one) because the politics and religion posts got to be too much. It wasn't that I want to completely avoid such topics, but the tone became increasingly abrasive and mean-spirited. Eventually, this tone started to permeate the rest of that forum and it wasn't fun to hang out there any longer.

The approach SW has taken here, with a password-protected politics and religion section, allows those threads to continue, but in a place where they don't ooze into the rest of the posts.

As for the concerns about censorship, every forum needs some form of moderation in place or it will develop a tone or character that discourages some potentially good people from joining. This is the case whether the issue is political and religious content, the perception of sexism or any other concern. Eventually boundaries and rules have to be set out.

• Heart 3

​You know, there's probably at least several of said dumbsticks here who would be perfectly content to be a vibrator with a wallet.

Thank you for the understanding that men, while blessed with brains and genitals both, have often been given only enough blood supply to use one at a time.

• Heart 1

Speaking of staying on topic, here's a music trivia question for you:

Björn Skifs, the lead singer in the "ooga chaka - Hooked on a Feelin' song, always wore the same shoes for each concert.  What did he wear?

<Jeopardy music>

Answer: He always wore his Blue Swede shoes.

https://youtu.be/bcYppAs6ZdI

​What does kd lang wear on her feet at her concerts?

Nothing, just her bear feet. :)