Heart of Arizona Century, Nov 2

az_cyclist

It was an hour and 15 minute drive from my home in north Phoenx to Congress AZ for the start of the Heart of Arizona ride.   I knew it would be a tough ride (6700 ft of climbing in 104 miles), but that is all I really knew.

I got started 15 minutes later than I wanted, and got to Congress 5+ minutes before the 104 ride started.  I had thought it was a more general start, but riders were lined up.  Not a cloud in the sky and it was about 50 when we started.   I ended up starting 5 min after that group (and I found out later there were other riders who started later than me).  25 of the first 30 miles were on the shoulder of US 93.  Most of it was not bad, but there was always the rumble strip and there was not much shoulder in a couple of places.. forcing me to cross the rumble strip several times.   For that pleasure I managed to lose my poorly designed tail light.  The first sag was at 28 miles, and I didnt spend much time there.  Since the Bull Shifters run the ride, I knew the people working at every sag!  I caught one Bull after 44 miles, and we rode together for a while. 

The serious climbing started after sag 1, but it was not too bad until after Sag 2.  You had to know something was up since Sag 3 was only 11 miles after Sag 2.  Yep, 9 miles of 5% grade.  I was never so glad to see a sag after 11 miles!.  They had sodas and chicken sandwiches there, and plenty of chairs.   I stayed there for longer than I would have waiting for the other guy. 

After Sag 3 we rode NE for a while, then turned more east (climbing most of the time).  After we turned east we also had the pleasure of a headwind. That wind increased until it was 20mph.  He could not keep up (I climb stronger than he does), and I needed to be back in Phoenix by 4:30 to 5.
When I got to Sag 4 (the last sag) they told me to step up for a root beer float  I dont really care for those, but, I never tasted one better!  I had more food , talked to Dale (he had to go slow at this point), then headed into the headwind and climb into Yarnell.That was work, and I thought my right inner thigh was going to cramp a couple of times,  but I made it.   After I got thru the town it was time for the decent.... 2000 ft in 7 miles.  I am somewhat bothered by heights, so I just could not let it rip, not to mention the 20 mph crosswind that made the mountain curves even more fun!  But it was great to enjoy.  You could also feel it get warmer as I descended into the desert.

There were burgers and hot dogs at the start, and Mrs_az_cyclist was cool enough to tell me to eat (we had company due at 5:30 and it was 4:00 when I got to the end).  I didnt feel too bad it and it was fun bs'ing with the Bulls ,  both the ones who rode and the ones who worked the sags.

here is the Strava link to the ride.

http://www.strava.com/activities/92856127

I will post some pics in FB tonight

• Heart 2

I want to move somewhere warm when I retire.  That will be in about 15 years.

This sounds like a great ride.

Great scenery, great sags, but yes, it is a challenging ride.  The Bulls do a great job of running this ride ( I would say that even if I werent a member).