My wife's mother died

jsharr

83 years old and suffered from dementia for years.  She was living in a memory care facility and had her good and bad days.  Today, she was being assisted to the bathroom and just slumped over, most likely a heart attack.  Still in  a bit of shock.  Lots of friends over tonight to comfort my wife.  Planning a funeral tomorrow.    Keep us in your prayers.  

• Heart 1

Thanks All. FnROS summed it up.  She was existing in a world that existed only in her mind.  Fragments reality, based on the past.  I think the biggest thing we are dealing wtih is the guilt of not being there with her, for her as much as we should have been in the recent past.

That is going to be hard to deal with for Martha and this is her mother, her last tie to immediate family.  Her dad is gone, her mother is gone, her brother though not gone has done some really crappy stuff and we do not have a relationship with him.

Picking Martha up at 1:30 and meeting with the funeral director.  Going to try and have the service on Saturday.

Thanks All. FnROS summed it up.  She was existing in a world that existed only in her mind.  Fragments reality, based on the past.  I think the biggest thing we are dealing wtih is the guilt of not being there with her, for her as much as we should have been in the recent past.

That is going to be hard to deal with for Martha and this is her mother, her last tie to immediate family.  Her dad is gone, her mother is gone, her brother though not gone has done some really crappy stuff and we do not have a relationship with him.

Picking Martha up at 1:30 and meeting with the funeral director.  Going to try and have the service on Saturday.

​ Thankfully, she has you.

• Heart 1

Actually, the P&R just lost another regular to death as well.  That's 3 over at that site -- including our beloved chopped liver -- who have fallen in a year's span.  Will you people get your health shit together and quit dying?  I'm starting to get attached to some of you bastahds in here and it's making it really tough.

Actually, the P&R just lost another regular to death as well.  That's 3 over at that site -- including our beloved chopped liver -- who have fallen in a year's span.  Will you people get your health shit together and quit dying?  I'm starting to get attached to some of you bastahds in here and it's making it really tough.

​Word. I lost 9 people in my orbit last year, including CL/Modo and stuckk... almost lost Bosox. I think we all need a break.

​Word. I lost 9 people in my orbit last year, including CL/Modo and stuckk... almost lost Bosox. I think we all need a break.

​Death is a part of life.  After a full life death is to be expected but the person will still be missed.  My father in law died last month, he was in his mid eighties.  His mind wasn't as sharp as it had been, possibly because of the medications he was taking but he was still there and still knew us and told us how much he loved us and appreciated us.  His passing was a promotion for him, he will be missed but he is in a better place. My kids and grandkids all came in for the funeral one of my sons had the funeral service and another one spoke at the service about his grandpa.  It was the first time in my life I ever heard people at a funeral service applaud during the service.

When younger people, who have not yet lived a full life die it's really sad but also something that sometimes happens.  I'm sorry for your loss Jsharr but I'm sure you know your mother in law just got promoted.  I'm praying for you and your family this week.

• Heart 1

So, plans all made.  Service is at 9:30 AM at Restland in Dallas.  Graveside only officiated by an old friend of the family who can both preach and sing.  

Mr. Hardin, my FIL had prepaid for ALL the expenses in advance for both he and Mrs. Hardin.

It was almost fun to challenge and win the charges that the cemetery tried to tack on.

Was told it would be extra for a Saturday funeral.  "Can you show us that in the contract"?  NOPE, charges removed.

It will be $XXX.xx for opening / closing the grave.  Again, can you show us, charges removed

Bill went from $1700 to $300, at which point the greasy salesman removed himself from the room and sent his assitant in to finish up.  

Could have maybe gotten the $200 for the installation of the burial vault removed as well, but at that point, just wanted to be done.  Blood suckers that pray on you when you are hurting piss me off.

Oh, and the most fun part was playing dumb when they asked if they could check on the ownership of the two plots between my wife's parents and grandparents.  I knew they were ours, they didn't.  Sure, see if they are available, we would LOVE to buy them.....  Good news, they are yours, you just inherited them!