What is your climb ratio?

Dirtyhip

I'm at 84 ft a mile.

1427 miles,in last 5 months.  120K climbed. 

that's an average grade of 1.6%

I haven't ridden with a computer for a couple years, but I recall an average week being something like 3000 ft vertical  and 120 miles, which is only 25 ft/mile

of course my climbing was much harder, far steeper, less hippified, and without the good coffee you have out on the left coast, but none of that shows up in these simple metrics

• Awesome 1

• 5 months later...

that's an average grade of 1.6%

I haven't ridden with a computer for a couple years, but I recall an average week being something like 3000 ft vertical  and 120 miles, which is only 25 ft/mile

of course my climbing was much harder, far steeper, less hippified, and without the good coffee you have out on the left coast, but none of that shows up in these simple metrics

:D

How do you determine your climb  ratio?  Is that a function on Strava?  Premium?  I haven't logged very many of my rides on Strava but I hope to do better this year.  My ratio should be interesting because flat land is scarce in my area so I'm always climbing or going downhills.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 4:27 PM, Mr Beanz said:

3,476 miles in 2021 so far at the beginning of August. On a 5,000 mile schedule I am guessing. 

126, 811 ft of gain

35.5 ft per mile

And.  I am still riding my bike.  

@Dirtyhip is still crushing me, but maybe her rides this year are more reasonable :D

As I come from the flat-to-rolling land of VA, and I'm on the road usually, this year (2021) is not even half her 84'/mile rate back then!

Miles: 3,255.3 mi
Elev Gain: 126,772 ft
38.9 ft per mile

48 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

This year:  1356.5 miles, 103,539 feet.

76 ft/mi.  Seems about right for the places I ride, as 50ft/mi would be considered a flat ride, and 100ft/mi a hilly one..

Yep - DH's are usually MTB rides, so she was always climbing stuff.  My rides, though, as a relative flatlander, usually require about 15 miles to get to the hills, so even on a 70 mile "hard" ride with lots of climbing, 30 miles will be flat.  That kills the average (climbing) but helps the averages (speed & distance) :D

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

My rides, though, as a relative flatlander, usually require about 15 miles to get to the hills, so even on a 70 mile "hard" ride with lots of climbing, 30 miles will be flat.  That kills the average (climbing) but helps the averages (speed & distance) :D

That's about the same here.   I like to be the well rounded rider myself. Lots of flats and lots of hills. Having 3,6000+ miles this year and 136,000 ft of gain, pretty sure I'm headed there.

Riding with others usually kills my gain numbers. In the last couple of months, started riding on my own more and my gain went up about about 40,000.  I'll probably average 22,000 per month for a while. But I don't base my riding on feet per mile really. Doesn't say much if you don't throw in the long mileage.