Bruce Jenner interview

Wilbur

Who watched it and what are your thoughts?

I for one, am happy with his decision to go ahead with the interview.  I am hoping the media now gives him the space he needs and to allow him to follow his heart in peace.  There are some tortured souls in this world and most are tortured by what society accepts as norms.

Edited by Wilbur

I enjoy people.  I also take an interest in them because I have made a living with them.  Many years ago, I flew Bruce Jenner and his wife and flew her with the kids later when they had split and she was dating a song writer/ producer in Victoria.  I am always interested in what makes people tick, especially super achievers. 

• Heart 1

I enjoy people.  I also take an interest in them because I have made a living with them.  Many years ago, I flew Bruce Jenner and his wife and flew her with the kids later when they had split and she was dating a song writer/ producer in Victoria.  I am always interested in what makes people tick, especially super achievers that pay their bills. 

​FIFY

Fair enough, but I don't care enough about him to watch the interview. 

This being public knowledge seems like a person just trying to get attention, and TV ratings. 

​I think his celebrity is attention getting but for  transgender individuals that suffer.  I am pretty confident history will treat him well.

Didn't watch it because I don't care.....and that's the way it should be.

​Ditto.

Nothing against Bruce Jenner --I just think we make too much of a big deal of people like him (note: how he currently refers to himself), or the Kardashians, or Paris Hilton, etc.  What makes such people special beyond just being people that their lives should have celebrity or tabloid status?  Or perhaps a better question is, should these people having that kind of status make them matter to me more, or should I just say "Live your life, just don't expect me to pay any attention to someone I have no real world interaction with"?

Celebrities are often the voice for people who don't have one. 

Yeah, my answer was a bit flippant. (Me?) 

The problem with "celebrities" is that you don't often know what their motivation for speaking out is. Is this just another form of attention-whoring or are they doing it so that someone can say "Oh....it's not just me....I'm not alone...."?

It's like when Tim Cook came out as gay. My first thought was "Who cares?" But then I realized there are people who need to hear that. (Actually, my very first thought was "There are people who didn't know this?") 

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass what anyone else is doing as long as it's not negatively impacting anyone else. I've got too much of my own shit to worry about. 

• Heart 2

Celebrities are often the voice for people who don't have one.  "People like him" won't be required when there are no inequities or biases left.  Until then, every cause needs its radical. 

​Do they need a radical though?  Or --perhaps this is better --what does "radical" mean to you?

Martin Luther King was a radical, by the views of many during his time as a prominent civil rights leader.  And yet, the way he was a voice for others involved something most people respect decades later.  It didn't involve a reality TV show, or agents, or Hollywood, or a family that's mostly famous for being famous and arguing with each other in the public eye.

I guess half of whether I can see someone as a voice for a cause or not (or respect that) is determined by what kind of trappings they surround themselves with.  I don't hate Bruce Jenner --I just look at those trappings, and am indifferent.

• Heart 1

​Do they need a radical though?  Or --perhaps this is better --what does "radical" mean to you?

Martin Luther King was a radical, by the views of many during his time as a prominent civil rights leader.  And yet, the way he was a voice for others involved something most people respect decades later.  It didn't involve a reality TV show, or agents, or Hollywood, or a family that's mostly famous for being famous and arguing with each other in the public eye.

I guess half of whether I can see someone as a voice for a cause or not (or respect that) is determined by what kind of trappings they surround themselves with.  I don't hate Bruce Jenner --I just look at those trappings, and am indifferent.

​This is exactly what I mean.  MLK was a great orator and civil rights activist who was hated by many at the time.  So was Nelson Mandela.  Both are recognized as hero's in later years for changes they made.  I don't think (cautious optimism) Bruce Jenner is really that different.  His celebrity status is different but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a valid cause.  The Kardashian family thing was a gong show but they did produce and market an empire from nothing.  I don't begrudge them that but they aren't a family I have a passion for nor respect really.  They don't have an effect on my daily life.  Nor does Jenner or his actions as I am not part of the community he represents.  But he does have a voice for those who need it.

I have heard that there may be another reality show in the works based on his conversion.  That makes me question the actions now but the jury is out as far as intent goes.

Time will be the judge on the whole thing.  

I don't disagree that celebrities do many things for attention whoring.  Transgender community though receives more ridicule and more violence than the gay community.  I can't imagine someone looking at the bigotry the transgender community is victimized by and says, "Gee, that's the life for me" unless they that is truly who they are.

• Heart 1