Jump to content

New stem on the Vaginator


Dirtyhip

Recommended Posts

I put it on this morning.  The front cap is all evenly spaced and the bolts have been tightened down to 5 Nm. 

No play in the headset.  Had to swap my top cap. This makes me a little sad that my Pretty and Strong top cap will not fit. The good news is that I have a better stem that may fit me better.

Stupid road bike. :huh:

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
On 4/26/2015 at 10:42 AM, Dirtyhip said:

I put it on this morning.  The front cap is all evenly spaced and the bolts have been tightened down to 5 Nm. 

No play in the headset.  Had to swap my top cap. This makes me a little sad that my Pretty and Strong top cap will not fit. The good news is that I have a better stem that may fit me better.

Stupid road bike. :huh:

 

1%20fuel%20cap.jpg

...the top cap on a threadless stem serves no purpose other than keeping stuff out of your hole once the bearing load is set and your stem is tightened in place.

 You could probably just bush the hole.:)

  • Heart 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Page Turner said:

 

1%20fuel%20cap.jpg

...the top cap on a threadless stem serves no purpose other than keeping stuff out of your hole once the bearing load is set and your stem is tightened in place.

 You could probably just bush the hole.:)

I want a top cap like that!!! 

  • Heart 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

so where you putting on a shorter stem and bringing the bars back to you, or a longer stem so you can stretch out?

what angle did you use with your new stem? did you set it so the bars are down in a more aggressive aero stance or did you let it angle up a bit for a comfortable ride?

I ride road bikes, so I'm in to all this sort of silly shit :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nate said:

so where you putting on a shorter stem and bringing the bars back to you, or a longer stem so you can stretch out?

what angle did you use with your new stem? did you set it so the bars are down in a more aggressive aero stance or did you let it angle up a bit for a comfortable ride?

I ride road bikes, so I'm in to all this sort of silly shit :P

It was a change for comfort.  brought the bars up.

This is an old thread.I sold the bike to Roadfrog a while back.  It's her deal now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

oh, a zombie thread :lol:

I did the same thing to my Fuji when I quit racing. I had it set up for riding in the drops and being as low and aero as possible and had a big old 53/38 crankset and all that

I swapped the cranks out for a compact, put a big 11-34 rear cassette on it, changed the stem for 120mm to 90mm and flipped it over to raise the bars up and set that whole thing up to maximize comfort riding on the hoods

real similar to what you did. Since I wasn't going to be riding any more criteriums, I set it up for an all day rider. I even got a new rear wheel made with a heavy duty rim so I don't have to tear up nice racing wheels  on the shitty back roads around here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Nate said:

oh, a zombie thread :lol:

I did the same thing to my Fuji when I quit racing. I had it set up for riding in the drops and being as low and aero as possible and had a big old 53/38 crankset and all that

I swapped the cranks out for a compact, put a big 11-34 rear cassette on it, changed the stem for 120mm to 90mm and flipped it over to raise the bars up and set that whole thing up to maximize comfort riding on the hoods

real similar to what you did. Since I wasn't going to be riding any more criteriums, I set it up for an all day rider. I even got a new rear wheel made with a heavy duty rim so I don't have to tear up nice racing wheels  on the shitty back roads around here

I have a dinner plate cassette on my new CruX.  36/46 was a little hard with the steeps around here.  My CruX is my adventure bike for long gravel days.  I wanted to protect my knees and not grind them into a powder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yea, that's why I put granny gears on my all day riders.  When its been a long afternoon and home is on the other side of a steep ridge, I like knowing that no matter how blown out I am, there's still some lighter gears to shift to

I remember Bob, the fella who helped me train for racing, was teasing me one time when I was out with a triple up front and a huge rear cassette in back. He says something like "what is that back there, a 32?"

I say, "Oh no, that's a 34"

Bob says "and is that a compact crank up front?"

I say in my best Pennsylvania farmer accent  "Oh, no, that's a triple up der. You'd just be throwing yer money away on a rear cassette like that without a triple"

and all the guys from Bob's team that we were riding with were cracking up

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nate said:

yea, that's why I put granny gears on my all day riders.  When its been a long afternoon and home is on the other side of a steep ridge, I like knowing that no matter how blown out I am, there's still some lighter gears to shift to

I remember Bob, the fella who helped me train for racing, was teasing me one time when I was out with a triple up front and a huge rear cassette in back. He says something like "what is that back there, a 32?"

I say, "Oh no, that's a 34"

Bob says "and is that a compact crank up front?"

I say in my best Pennsylvania farmer accent  "Oh, no, that's a triple up der. You'd just be throwing yer money away on a rear cassette like that without a triple"

and all the guys from Bob's team that we were riding with were cracking up

I have a 40 at the top of my cassette in the back.  The wolf tooth connector allows you to use a MTB cassette with an ultegra long cage.  :hapydance:

Yes, it is a freak of nature bike.  I am sure that some might laugh at me.  F em!  Who cares.  I like it.  Some of our steeps are stupid grades.  I want to use that bike for camping, so I need some serious gearing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I currently have a 36 on the back of my road back (50/34 in front).  At least they told me it's a 36, it might be a 34.  Either way, I think it's a 36 and I will not count the teeth.  As long as I believe it's a 36, it will perform like a 36.  Once I am done with the hill riding, I will go back to my 28.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...