Why were the bordellos in the West always built on top of the saloon?

AirwickWithCheese

They seemed to white wash it in Gunsmoke with Miss Kitty.  Surprising how they got that past the censors back in the 60s. :D

Miss Kitty owned the saloon.  Hot air rises so the prudent thing would have been to build the bordello adjacent to the saloon, not above. No air conditioning,  no electricity.  Adjacent with a screen porch breezeway between the saloon and bordello. 

No smoking in the bordello as a courtesy to the ladies. 

It is more cost effective to build vertically? ;)

Today, yes, but land was not at a premium in the West. Need a funeral house?  Just slap up some boards across from the Doc's house.  

Not to mention higher buildings were subject to even more chance of fire. Give the ladies a chance to jump to safety .....

Maybe they were concerned young'ns could peek in windows of ground level structures?

This is valid. Adjacent is out. 

Through the back of the saloon, then the huge open screen porch,  down to the bordellos built close to the river. Nice breezes, tranquil water sounds, perhaps a picnic down by the riverbank.  

The horses would also appreciate the kindness. 

• Heart 1

Page can enlighten us when he's available,  no?    ;)

​I can think of no better source.  I await his reply. Right @Page Turner ?

​...as you are doubtless aware, I live in what was once the Old West, (now the new, thirsty West).  Certainly the comments about the ease of building second story onto a primitive balloon frame wooden structure are apropos, but if you visit places like Bodie, you quickly realize that the whores were working in just about every cheap room where you could fit a bed.  Those Wild West movie bordellos are mostly Hollywood.

Another reason you have two story architecture in a lot of old mining towns along the main street is that that particular real estate (main street) was commercially valuable, just like today. Finally, winters are cold and damp enough to require heat, and wood was what they had for heat.......works better vertically than horizontally.

I can remember one winter up in Sonora, when I was still prospecting for the big strike, and I used to come into town ever' now an' then to visit Miss Fifi Laroux, who had traveled all the way from Paris, France to work the Mother Lode country.  Miss Fifi Laroux was one hell of a woman.

• Heart 1

A cowboy has to drink and a drunk cowboy may have other needs.  The privacy allowed by just going to the saloon is attractive.  One does not have to leave after getting drunk to take car of other needs.  If one had to stumble out of the bar the whore house next door, then it would not look good to the other more civilized members of the town.

A cowboy has to drink and a drunk cowboy may have other needs.  The privacy allowed by just going to the saloon is attractive.  One does not have to leave after getting drunk to take car of other needs.  If one had to stumble out of the bar the whore house next door, then it would not look good to the other more civilized members of the town.

​You really sound like you know what you are talking aboot!

• Heart 2