Messenger bags are stupid

Dirtyhip

I ride with a messenger bag sometimes when I ride my Crux to work.  This morning, I switched to a Chrome backpack and it made a world of difference.  That other style is so dumb.  The thing shifts around and some of the items in the bag end up stabbing me in the back.  If I get it tight enough to stay put, it crushes my rib cage and gives me chest pain.  

I may sell that stupid Timbuktu piece of crap.  It's so dumb.  

I have had this experience with a shoulder bag I've had for many years now - used to use it back when I bike commuted to the old office.  It slides to the side and is annoying.  But it's not a real "messenger bag" - for some reason I thought those had a clip that you could attach to a belt loop, to prevent this.  But I don't know where this idea came from - maybe I just thought it's a logical thing for them to have.

I have had this experience with a shoulder bag I've had for many years now - used to use it back when I bike commuted to the old office.  It slides to the side and is annoying.  But it's not a real "messenger bag" - for some reason I thought those had a clip that you could attach to a belt loop, to prevent this.  But I don't know where this idea came from - maybe I just thought it's a logical thing for them to have.

​The Timbuktu bag has a chest stabilizer, and it still sucks.  If I am carrying an almost empty bag is the only time it will stay put.

I got a messenger bag in trade from someone on the old old bike forum (bikeforums.net) in trade for something (I forget what). It was a great messenger bag, but I found out within a few rides that messenger bags were not right for me. I hated it too, DH.

I ride with a messenger bag sometimes when I ride my Crux to work.  This morning, I switched to a Chrome backpack and it made a world of difference.  That other style is so dumb.  The thing shifts around and some of the items in the bag end up stabbing me in the back.  If I get it tight enough to stay put, it crushes my rib cage and gives me chest pain.  

​Come on, woman; tell us how you REALLY feel!  ;)

• Heart 1

I got a messenger bag in trade from someone on the old old bike forum (bikeforums.net) in trade for something (I forget what). It was a great messenger bag, but I found out within a few rides that messenger bags were not right for me. I hated it too, DH.

​How can it not be right for you?  You live in Seattle!

​Awesome sales pitch! I'll bet someone buys it today.

• Heart 1

The Nashbar commuter pannier works well for me.  Shoes go in the outside pockets.  Clothes fold inside and stay pretty much wrinkle free by the time I get to work.  Helps me keep all the stuff organized so I rarely forget my belt or.... other necessary items of clothing. Securely fastens to the bike.  Pretty cheap too, if you catch it on sale.

bag1.thumb.jpg.d574642130761a286ca10e907

bag2.thumb.jpg.8342976a824cecde457930f8f