Summer's Project

Zealot

Real wood or pseudo-wood?

When you're done, you can come help me finish my siding. Ate up all of last summer and probably going to eat up a good portion of this summer....

My siding is probably next summer. So, I'll help you if you help me in return. ;)

That way, you can learn on mine! Hey......wait a minute....

Looks pretty redneck, doesn't it?

image.jpg

​That took you all summer? Is Stanley helping?

• Heart 1

​That took you all summer? Is Stanley helping?

The front was fall 2013. The north (gable) end and the back (including replacing the patio door) was last summer"s debacle. (Along with central A/C). Once the south end is done (including re-shingling the entryway addition roof)  it's on to soffits, fascia and gutters. 

Painting is is the biggest holdup, since it has to be 38F or better, for the paint to dry and I'm painting it before I put it up.

Nah, looks cool! 

I've got that old clapboard siding on three sides of my house, the front is stone.

The south end is the worst - the shingles are all dry rotted, split and curling- but I left that part 'til last becuase it will use a lot of short pieces leftover from the rest.

I'm using this stuff.  Pain in the ass to paint, because of the texture, but overall, it's nice stuff.

The south end is the worst - the shingles are all dry rotted, split and curling- but I left that part 'til last becuase it will use a lot of short pieces leftover from the rest.

I'm using this stuff.  Pain in the ass to paint, because of the texture, but overall, it's nice stuff.

Looks like good stuff.

Looks like good stuff.

Not as durable as Hardiplank and you still have to paint it, but it's stable as hell - doesn't warp, crack, split or rot. It's also a lot lighter than Hardi - not a small consideration when you factor in that I'm working alone. LP is also available in16' lengths as opposed to Hardi @ 12'. They also make all the 5/4 trim and the soffits and fascia.

Fairly easy to install. 

Hey Zackny, have you ever installed thus before?

​I've done some but not a lot. Before I went to forestry school I spent about 15 years doing commercial flooring. Mostly tile, carpet,vinyl but the principal is about the same.