So Bob or Indy or LW or others - I gave up on Mac - what is the best way to backup Ubuntu before an upgrade? Clonezilla?

Ralphie

Well, booting from a Clonezilla Live disk and backing up to a USB external hard disk is relatively easy.

You could either use the USB external hard disk to boot as well as backup, or you could use a CD or USB key with Live installed.  The only important thing to know about Clonezilla is that it is picky in restore.  You need to restore to the same size or larger drive.

Backup is always a good thing.  However, I think (though I haven't used it a ton) the apt get process for upgrading Ubuntu should be pretty straightforward, provided you aren't doing a huge jump.  I'd recommend sticking with the LTS releases due to the long support period and relative stability.

Well, booting from a Clonezilla Live disk and backing up to a USB external hard disk is relatively easy.

You could either use the USB external hard disk to boot as well as backup, or you could use a CD or USB key with Live installed.  The only important thing to know about Clonezilla is that it is picky in restore.  You need to restore to the same size or larger drive.

Backup is always a good thing.  However, I think (though I haven't used it a ton) the apt get process for upgrading Ubuntu should be pretty straightforward, provided you aren't doing a huge jump.  I'd recommend sticking with the LTS releases due to the long support period and relative stability.

​Thanks!  But I am pretty sure that I can eff it up. :D I think they have an option to install the new alongside the old.

I would back up and do an upgrade install rather than do a side-by-side; just my personal preference.

What he said. I'm getting ready to upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04. When ever I make the jump, I just do a full disk image as well as just a data backup.  That way if something goes way wrong and I can't use thw image, I at least have the data to load back onto a clean installation. 

• 1 month later...