Do you shave your legs

This is mostly for the guys, but I suppose women aren't required (yet) to shave theirs.

When I first started riding, a whopping two years ago, here is what I said I'd never do:

• Spend crazy amounts of money on cycling equipment
  • Get a road bike
  • Ride clipless
  • Wear lycra
  • Wear bibs
  • Do a century
  • Shave my legs

I have since done all of those things except shave the legs.

I had vein surgery on my left leg this spring, pics if desired, and needed to shave the whole thing.  I did not enjoy it one bit.  Not the process, how it looked nor how it felt.

I will never shave my legs.

Please define "crazy" in the crazy amounts on cycling equipment

New rider, some examples:

4,000 bike

250 shoes

250 carbon bars - this was a gift

175 leotards bibs

350 prescription sunglasses

350 bike GPS

I resisted new wheels, can't justify them (yet)

Plus lots of other stuff

I've spent far too much money in one year, but it's been mostly fun.

• Heart 1

New rider, some examples:

4,000 bike

250 shoes

250 carbon bars - this was a gift

175 leotards bibs

350 prescription sunglasses

350 bike GPS

I resisted new wheels, can't justify them (yet)

Plus lots of other stuff

I've spent far too much money in one year, but it's been mostly fun.

Never spent anywhere near than that, my road bike at around $800 is the cheapest bike I've bought.  Most expensive is my Fisher I bought in 2000 when I finally graduated from college at $1600 and that was a near top end full blown XC race bike, makes me cringe when I see bike prices today.

Shoes and shorts, don't think I've ever paid over $50 for.  Bike computer, old Catseyes wired have always worked, if I need a GPS, I got a phone.  Sunglasses, I tend to be very light sensitive and get bad headaches, so don't count those as cycling specific since I always have them and that tops out at $70.

Bike upgrades I don't keep track of as I don't replace stuff usually unless it's broke, though I did upgrade the Fork on the Fisher but the old one was relocated to my single speed to replace the rigid it came with.  Got a good deal on that and think it was just a tad over $100, but can't remember.

Cycling doesn't have to be an expensive hobby, people just make it one.  I've had people comment on my old OCR2 and upgrading it to something faster.  I always ask why since it would be far cheaper to upgrade me, I'm no where near peak form or ability so the bike isn't the limiting factor.

Didn't get the wheels yet.  I read that aero wheels aren't that effective until you can consistently ride at 20+.  I'm not there yet.

My bike came with DT Swiss 4.0 wheels.  They are OK for now.  Could they be lighter?  Sure, but I have 20 lbs to lose, so if I ever need to look for lighter components, it's me.

My N+1 for this year was the Trek Domane 4.5, which I got for about $3000.. the most expensive bike I have ever bought.  Since I started riding double centuries, I have purchased bib shorts as they are better for me for long rides and for climbing, when you want to stand.  I spend about $120 a year for Pearl Izumi Elite bibs.  I spent about $100 this year for Shimano XC-30 shoes. for the Domane I bought a Garmin 500 computer.  It is nice to upload ride data, and, the ability to download  turn by turn route instructions is nice, especially if you ride in unfamiliar areas ( I still have the route sheet provided by the ride organizers though).  The sunglasses are Tifosi that I bought on sale at Performance for about $30 about 3-4 years ago.

I read a lot about bikes before I bought.  It sounded like lots of people upgraded soon after they bought (a year or two).

I don't need / want 11 speeds, I don't need / want disc brakes.

I figure the wheels will go at some point, but I'm OK with that, I'll get new ones.  :)

I figured if I bought big when I got this bike I would not need to replace it for a very long time.  I still love the bike.

• Heart 1

Yes - KT Tape sticks/works better if I shave the hairy stumps that serve as my legs. I had them waxed once too this year. My wife was disappointed that I went through the process without wincing.

On a side note, in regards to $$$ spent on cycling. I was working at the LBS the other day and the owner had stayed logged in and had typed a customer name and it listed all the invoices for the customer and more importantly, the total $$$ that customer had spent. So out of curiosity I typed in my name.

I immediately called the owner over and told him that I would pay good money to make sure my wife NEVER saw the number.

That number is going up too with a BMC TimeMachine with my name on it. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

do you know why cyclists shave their legs?

swimmers do it to take time off their swims. Not only does it decrease water resistance a lot, but it also makes your muscles fire faster

but the "Streamlined" advantage disappears out of the water and the faster twitching only helps in a sprint event, it doesn't last long enough to be any good in a bike race

no...the reason cyclists shave their legs is because its a lot easier to change the bandages when they aren't stuck to hairy arms and legs

that's why

racers crash a lot more often than most of us, so that's why they do it

• Heart 1

vanity would be a silly reason. Men shave their legs for actual reasons, you know that. So that its easier to change the bandages is a manly reason to shave your legs, but you also have to shave your arms, too, or you're just a poser

• 8 months later...

Yep, shave mine, but I have the body of a Greek god. So for me it's a requirement. 

I HATE hair. I shave my head down to the stubs, shave my pit hair, back, trim arms, and the captain and the two sailors. 

Many people who start out in cycling always say, "I'll NEVER were spandex"...a year later they're wearing spandex when they come to realize the comfort   

I have 5 bikes.  If you ride off road, tour, do fast road rides and commute to work then you need at least 4 bikes. Sure, one bike CAN do it all, but poorly. 

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
On 11/12/2013 at 2:26 PM, Square Wheels said:

When I first started riding, a whopping two years ago, here is what I said I'd never do:

• Spend crazy amounts of money on cycling equipment
  • Get a road bike
  • Ride clipless
  • Wear lycra
  • Wear bibs
  • Do a century
  • Shave my legs

I have since done all of those things except shave the legs.

No shaving of the legs for me, but check to all other items.  I seriously debate shaving them every Summer as I start to apply sunscreen for rides. Sunscreen is a royal PITA to apply, attracts bugs & dirt like glue, and is a royal PITA to remove. Shaved legs would make two of the three things much easier.

Tom