God I hate Craigslist

...I list stuff for sale for our bike co-op here all the time on CL, and I never get any inquiries or replies that are not both polite and demonstrative of intelligence.  It must be where you live.

My favorite CL experience here was driving two hours one way to look at the 23" bike that turned out to be a 21" bike, so maybe this inquiry was from someone who went to look at that one too.

I used to like Craigslist.

Now, for buying, it's a mass of people posting their crap in the wrong categories.  Hey moron, ya posted yer quadrunner in the computer section, can't you read?

Selling is equally bad.  You get spammers, people who hope you'll cut 50% off the price, and tire-kickers who really don't have the money and are just dreaming you might hold something for a month until the welfare check gets there.  While they've improved the contact system to try and make it more anonymous, you can now only flag posts that are prohibited, not "miscategorized" or for othe reasons like you used to.  That, and dumber-than-rocks questions like FRoS mentioned --you put all of the details in the ad, and you get people who must not have made it through the fourth grade.

I'll still probably post the Honda Civic there someday when I put it up for sale, but that's about all.  It's often more headache than its worth.

Any time you misspell "separately", you tend to get the nitwit replies.

Yeah. I saw that <hangs head in shame> 

I got nitwits when I sold my "Troy Bilt Brono Tiller" tiller, too: "What model is it?" They also asked how many HP it was - which, while I didn't include it in the ad copy was plainly visible in big letters on the front of the engine, in the pictures....

It's often more headache than its worth.

I hate using it, just because of the idiot factor, but the local ads were just as bad and there, you had to give a phone number. I always put " 4-7 PM" and if I got phone calls at midnight that went to the answering machine, I just deleted them. 

...It must be where you live.

Well this guy wanted me to ship it to Vermont so apparently they have their share of halfwits, too. He also told me he was buying a 2014 Cervelo R3 Dura Ace for $2K, instead. A quick Google shows that they didn't offer a DA version in 2014 and even the Ultegra version is $3700. If he's not FOS, his LBS must have slapped a DA rear dérailleur on it and told him it was a DA bike. (Which they sometimes do, to catch idiots like him) Either that or the LBS is stupid....

I hate using it, just because of the idiot factor, but the local ads were just as bad and there, you had to give a phone number. I always put " 4-7 PM" and if I got phone calls at midnight that went to the answering machine, I just deleted them. 

​I post in all of my ads that if I don't get a phone number in the response - I'll ignore it.  If it's a lowball offer - I'll ignore it.  No, I won't hold it for a week until you get paid for your plasma donation. Cash only, local pickup only.

Despite that, I still get boneheads.  And just like I said, I ignore them.

Parts being available, and parts still being produced are not the same thing. 

I'd love to find a low mileage 7800 equipped bike like your's(in a big boy size), but by some definitions, 7800 is obsolete. 

It's probably the best 10 speed groupset ever made, but 7800 has been out of production for many years. 7900 blows. 

​But it is better than Suntour, right? :D

Edited by The Inedible Bulk

Back in the 80s I loved Suntour, but 7800 is top notch. 

If this bike fits you, it's a steal. The only component that is tough to replace with a functionally equal component are the shift/brake levers.  If those are good, you should have no issues finding parts that work well for at least a decade. 

• Heart 1

Parts being available, and parts still being produced are not the same thing. . 

From the comsumer's POV, it is. If I can get OEM "wear" parts, I don't care if they've been sitting in a warehouse. They're not freshness dated. Whether they're still being manufactured or not only comes into play when the stockpile runs out. If I was able to find those with zero effort, I'd guess that 7800 is a viable groupset for a few more years.

By then we will have moved on to through controlled hoverbikes anyway....