We need more bike talk.

Dirtyhip

I went for a 15 mi this am , chilly but sun. I am making some improvement didn`t have to crawl in the house when I returned home :-)Nice!

​Nice.  I only got my short ride to work, but I will ride at lunch. I have to stay in rest pace today.  I am pretty wiped at the moment.

• Heart 1

I need to work on my fleet.  The Jamis Durango needs new cables. The Trek 7.3 needs a tube replaced.  The Cannondale needs a helicoil for the rear deraileur (gonna leave that to the shop)

Next Saturday AM, I load up my tools, and work stand and spares and head to church to repair bikes for the Single Parent Family ministry there.  Have been doing this a few times a year for the last few years.  It is so cool to be able to give back by using my gifts to bless others.  When you see some mom struggling to make ends meet be able to provide a working bike to her son or daughter for free, it is so cool.  Smiles by the ton and more than a few tears over the years.  I have taught kids how to do basic bike maintenance.  Got to teach a little girl how to ride a bike even.

If any of you are free next Saturday AM, come give me a hand.

• Heart 1

Bar end?  Is this the 90's?

​Give me a minute........I'm not sure.

Let me tell you young lady that many seasoned tourers prefer Bar-end levers for their reliability......I know about these things.

I've had many kinds of STI's and they work fine for the most part but it's a question of "horses for courses"......I'm not sure what that means but I think it's pretty deep.

• Heart 1

​Riding them is priority #1, and cleaning them should be your second priority.  

Almost all of my bikes need another cleaning.  They all got worked last week.

​Every minute spent cleaning them is one less minute I have to ride them. I've already wasted an hour and a half, thanks to you.....and I still have two and a half more hours to go.

​Every minute spent cleaning them is one less minute I have to ride them. I've already wasted an hour and a half, thanks to you.....and I still have two and a half more hours to go.

​I managed to clean my bikes and I rode 115 miles with about 13 hours of saddle time last week.  Not sure what the hell your problem is.

UglyBob had mentioned I need a kit to convert to a single speed.  What I am wondering is if I need a new wheel, chain ring, and bottom bracket.   I think a Specialized Langster runs about $700.  If I could convert the Trek 1000, it would probably be for quite a bit less.. if I dont have to buy tools.

UglyBob had mentioned I need a kit to convert to a single speed.  What I am wondering is if I need a new wheel, chain ring, and bottom bracket.   I think a Specialized Langster runs about $700.  If I could convert the Trek 1000, it would probably be for quite a bit less.. if I dont have to buy tools.

​What's on the Trek for components right now? We might be able to reuse most of it. A lot depends on the gearing you want to shoot for. I assume you a freehub rear wheel, not a freewheel. We can work with either. If it's a freehub, you can get the conversion kit at performance for about 30 bucks. If it's a freewheel, we can spin a single speed freewheel on there and I can re-space the hub, then re-dish the wheel. All easy, cheap stuff.

​What's on the Trek for components right now? We might be able to reuse most of it. A lot depends on the gearing you want to shoot for. I assume you a freehub rear wheel, not a freewheel. We can work with either. If it's a freehub, you can get the conversion kit at performance for about 30 bucks. If it's a freewheel, we can spin a single speed freewheel on there and I can re-space the hub, then re-dish the wheel. All easy, cheap stuff.

​Sigh.  I wish I lived close to you, Bob. :)

It's not the cheapest way to convert a road bike to SS/FG, but building a new rear wheel using a White Industries ENO hub is the best way. 

I'm pretty sure Handsome Bob would build the wheel. The result would be a very clean SS/FG bike, and chain line would be perfect. 

There are several houses for sale in the neighborhood. :whistle:

How aboot some cushy, high paying jobs?  :)  No show would be great. :D

Hey, for bike talk, should I try to buy F'in Ray's 2006 Felt? It looks mighty sweet. :)   Would there by any danger of not being able to find parts now that Sheldon Brown has passed?  Somehow you manage with your classics. :D  But my 88 Raleigh has Maillard hubs which are not serviceable according to my LBS aboot 15 years or so ago. :)

Edited by The Inedible Bulk

How aboot some cushy, high paying jobs?  :)  No show would be great. :D

Hey, for bike talk, should I try to buy F'in Ray's 2006 Felt? It looks mighty sweet. :)   Would there by any danger of not being able to find parts now that Sheldon Brown has passed?  Somehow you manage with your classics. :D  But my 88 Raleigh has Maillard hubs which are not serviceable according to my LBS aboot 15 years or so ago. :)

​I haven't looked at the Felt, but consider the source (just kidding). Are the Maillard hubs the sealed bearing ones? Send me a pic; everything is serviceable if you want to put the time into it. The question is whether it's worth the effort or not.

Depending on what you do, there's all kind of jobs around here, tech and business stuff. We have data centers, call centers, credit card companies... you name it.

It's not the cheapest way to convert a road bike to SS/FG, but building a new rear wheel using a White Industries ENO hub is the best way. 

I'm pretty sure Handsome Bob would build the wheel. The result would be a very clean SS/FG bike, and chain line would be perfect. 

I think you can find prebuilt WI ENO rear wheels for $300. That's not cheap, but it solves chain line issues, eliminates the need for a chain tensioner, and allows you to go FG or SS on any 130mm spaced frame. 

I plan on doing this to my current road bike once my new frame is completed. 

​I haven't looked at the Felt, but consider the source (just kidding). Are the Maillard hubs the sealed bearing ones? Send me a pic; everything is serviceable if you want to put the time into it. The question is whether it's worth the effort or not.

Depending on what you do, there's all kind of jobs around here, tech and business stuff. We have data centers, call centers, credit card companies... you name it.

​Actually the hubs are Moot (:huh:) now, since a year after the LBS trued the wheels a few of the spokes pulled through, so now it would need new wheels, but the Suntour drive train is aboot shot too, so probably not worth it, although the Technium frame is perfect. :)

​my ultimate goal is N+N bikes.  I will probably work in a new road bike just before I retire.  I definitely want to add an mtb and possibly a touring bike to my collection. While it would be nice to have a new SS, I dont ride the 1000 now.  It has a Shimano Sora 9 speed cassette and a 52-42-29 triple.  I dont know enough about SS setups to know what ring/cog I would use.  I just know a few guys in the club ride them.  One guy can reverse the rear wheel to switch between a fixed and free hub.  I would really want a free hub.  I would ride it for some training rides, and hopefully some commuting.

​my ultimate goal is N+N bikes.  I will probably work in a new road bike just before I retire.  I definitely want to add an mtb and possibly a touring bike to my collection. While it would be nice to have a new SS, I dont ride the 1000 now.  It has a Shimano Sora 9 speed cassette and a 52-42-29 triple.  I dont know enough about SS setups to know what ring/cog I would use.  I just know a few guys in the club ride them.  One guy can reverse the rear wheel to switch between a fixed and free hub.  I would really want a free hub.  I would ride it for some training rides, and hopefully some commuting.

You need the WI ENO wheel. 

For about $300 it will convert any roadbike to SS/FG. 

• Heart 1

I still don't get the thing about everyone wanting a SS.  Isn't that what we grew up with and couldn't wait to get a geared bike so we could climb hills and go fast?  Couldn't you have the same thing by just not shifting?  My daughter in law said she had a bike before she was old enough to drive a car.  It had lots of gears but she didn't know anything about shifting them so she just rode it in the gear that it was in all the time.

I finally got out for a two mile run and a twelve mile ride on Sunday.  I thought it was cool, I ran slow and rode slow, stopped for ice cream on the ride, then stopped for a Guinness,  I had Strava running for both of them  I got Kudos for both of them.  I guess people are happy I got out of my Lazy Boy Recliner.  .  

• Heart 1