Weekend report

On Friday wife O'7 and I drove to Sevierville TN. It's about 30 miles east of Knoxville, just north of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.  The three towns are a gauntlet of tourist traps you must pass thru to reach the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.  The purpose for the trip was to learn more about RV's and full-timing on the road. We hoped to visit the Smokies during some down time but that didn't work out.  Friday was Dolly Parton's homecoming parade and they closed the main road thru Pigeon Forge for over two hours.  We spent our downtime at the hotel, swimming and taking naps.

We learned lots from the presentations and from talking to others about their RVs and what they've learned over the years.  We can't wait to sell the house and start traveling.  We decided on getting an F450 dually with a hauler bed and a 40 foot fifth wheel.  We will probably go new on the truck and a lightly used fifth wheel.

On the drive home Sunday we went thru the Cumberland Gap and stopped at the park entrance.  The lady inside recommended we drive up the summit road and see the view.  It's only six miles.  As we started up we saw six cyclists coming down the road.  I grew more impressed as we ascended the road.  There were over twenty tight switchbacks and the road was steep!  At the top you can see TN, VA and KY. Beautiful views.  This is what we want to do full time.

photo 1(1).JPG

photo 2(1).JPG

photo 3.JPG

• Heart 2

Brother, you need to do that ride on your bike!  :nod head:

Beautiful photos! 

I didn't know you were RVing now. Cool!

​Amen to the bike ride part, but I didn't bring the bike and my lowest gear right now is a 39 x 25.

I'm not RVing yet, we're learning about it now so we're ready when the time comes.  It sounds morbid but we can't leave until my MIL passes away or 1/1/2020, whichever comes first.  Sell the house, pay off debt and go.  If you stick around, you'll hear more about it here.  ;-)

​Amen to the bike ride part, but I didn't bring the bike and my lowest gear right now is a 39 x 25.

I'm not RVing yet, we're learning about it now so we're ready when the time comes.  It sounds morbid but we can't leave until my MIL passes away or 1/1/2020, whichever comes first.  Sell the house, pay off debt and go.  If you stick around, you'll hear more about it here.  ;-)

​My Crux has a 38 x 28 as the lowest.  It is a bit of a grind on some of our long steeps out here, but my leg pistons can handle it.  No worries.  

Nothing like preparing for the time! My wife would love to RV. We may yet.

As for the ride, get a freewheel with a little more range. Or do the SS thing; it works!  ;-)

The cannon was at the top of Pinnacle View Rd (36°36'23.9"N 83°40'01.5"W).  Where Kentucky and Virginia meet up.  Fortifications were placed there during the Civil War.  Although the summit changed hands several times. no real battle was fought other than boredom.  The cannon was facing north into KY, a Union state.