TIB

jsharr

​I understood that you chose to remain anonymous.....and I assume it has something to do with your van and the "free candy" sign on the side.

​Or the fact that the people that but on a badge to start their work day risk thier lives to protect mine.  That and the candy van thing.  I saw him park next to it out the window.

• Heart 2

My grandfather did, back before they rode in sissy air conditioned cars:

1158757119_5334b2f8c4_o.jpg

Which one is grandpa?

• Heart 2

​That is VERY VERY cool!  

​Almost equally as cool is how I came to be in possession of said photo.

There was an article in the paper about a retired trooper who was putting markers on the graves of all former troopers - like they do for military or firemen. I asked him if he had my grandfather's name and he said "no". I did some digging and got a confirmation email from Albany that he was indeed a former trooper. The guy said "good enough for me..." and sent me the marker.

That was that - or so I thought. 

A couple of months later I got a phone call from the guy. Someone had just given him a stack of old photos, not knowing what to do with them. He recognized the name on the back of this one, because he'd spoken with me not too long before. <cue Rod Serling>

He asked if I wanted it.

WELLLLLL DUUUUUUHHHH.

I had "fun"with it - I said nothing to my sister about it although I knew she had been very close with him. I had it reprinted and framed and gave it to her for Christmas. It's the only time I've ever seen her cry.

​Or the fact that the people that but on a badge to start their work day risk thier lives to protect mine.  That and the candy van thing.  I saw him park next to it out the window.

​In our family, we understand more than most the sacrifices made by these public servants and their families. There is a bridge in Northern Ontario named in honor of my wife's father, a cop shot and killed in the line of duty 50 years ago. She was 10 at the time.

Edited by Ratt le Can
  • Heart 2

​In our family, we understand more than most the sacrifices made by these public servants and their families. There is a bridge in Northern Ontario named in honor of my wife's father, a cop shot and killed in the line of duty 50 years ago. She was 10 at the time.

My BIL is a cop and his daughter is in the academy as well.

This is my worst nightmare.