I said it a couple weeks ago and I will repeat it now...

petitepedal

Turkey is gonna be expensive this Thanksgiving....  Over 5 million birds put down due to bird flu...some of them the providers of the hatchlings...they are saying it can take up to 3 months to "clean" a facility before they can bring in new birds...and it takes about 4 months to raise a Turkey too eating size....

• Heart 1

We have lots of wild turkeys here, The season just started this week for spring gobblers.  I don't plan on going hunting but the other two guys on my press crew too the whole week off to hunt them.

My neighbor up north asked if he could turkey hunt on my property. I said "sure".....but now that turkey may be hard to get next fall, I may have to add a stipulation that if he scores, I get some....

Turkey is gonna be expensive this Thanksgiving....  Over 5 million birds put down due to bird flu...some of them the providers of the hatchlings...they are saying it can take up to 3 months to "clean" a facility before they can bring in new birds...and it takes about 4 months to raise a Turkey too eating size....

It'll cost me about a $1.25.

Last year there were 240,000,000 turkeys produced in the United States.  While the elimination or 5 million or 10 million or 20 million birds might sound like a lot (and to the producer it can be catastrophic) the percentage is just a drop in the bucket and would have no bearing on meat prices (at this time).  For a producer, when the kill order is given, all the birds on the farm are eliminated along with all poultry in a 5 mile radius.  It can wipe out a producer.

I have a good friend that has a chicken farm with his family.  They have 6 barns, each with a million birds.  If they were to lose one bird to the desease they would lose the farm.  The slack in the market would never be felt.  One big poultry issue is the inability to export birds as well as eggs.  As long as there is a case of the decease here, there are countries that ban our poultry products.  That hurts a bunch of framers that have no deceased birds but have lost their market.