I killed my microwave oven

maddmaxx

With a loud flash, a bang and a small curl of smoke.  Drat.

Hit the internet reviews and questioned Mrs. Maxx what she wanted and voila, bought another.

Panasonic. Just a 1.1 cuft as the old one was oppressively large.  Stainless all over with 1200 watts and inverter technology with sensor cook and reheat.

Perhaps I will try to microwave a hamburger.

With a loud flash, a bang and a small curl of smoke.  Drat.

Hit the internet reviews and questioned Mrs. Maxx what she wanted and voila, bought another.

Panasonic. Just a 1.1 cuft as the old one was oppressively large.  Stainless all over with 1200 watts and inverter technology with sensor cook and reheat.

Perhaps I will try to microwave a hamburger.

​Try not putting it on that stainless steel tray this time.

​Try not putting it on that stainless steel tray this time.

​I know better than that.  The old one killed the magnitron and left a large scorch on the side wall where the waveguide was.  I'm also joking about the hamburger.  I wouldn't attempt that without a combo convection/microwave.

Edited by maddmaxx

Not sure if that's a better demise than our last one, or not.

It was possessed. At random times, it would come on all by itself - the fan, the light, the turntable, but not the "gun". There was no way to shut it off, you just had to wait for it to stop on it's own - which it would do, after a minute or two. Percussion maintenance didn't help. (This just made the digital display fall down inside).

I came home from work one day, to find a new one on the counter. After some prodding, the story came out: The old one had had one of it's little seizures when someone went to warm up her coffee and she couldn't get it to stop so that she could put her coffee in. It got unplugged, carried out the front door and tossed, in what I was told was a graceful trajectory, off the deck.

You at least got a flash/bang out of it, but she told me ours made a cool sound when it hit the driveway.

Either way, I missed out, dammit.

Not sure if that's a better demise than our last one, or not.

It was possessed. At random times, it would come on all by itself - the fan, the light, the turntable, but not the "gun". There was no way to shut it off, you just had to wait for it to stop on it's own - which it would do, after a minute or two. Percussion maintenance didn't help. (This just made the digital display fall down inside).

I came home from work one day, to find a new one on the counter. After some prodding, the story came out: The old had had one of it's little seizures when someone went to warm up her coffee and she couldn't get it to stop so that she could put her coffee in. It got unplugged, carried out the front door and tossed, in what I was told was a graceful trajectory, off the deck.

You at least got a flash/bang out of it, but she told me ours made a cool sound when it hit the driveway.

Either way, I missed out, dammit.

​Wow.  While doing the research I read some reviews about a particular brand that started all by itself and then caught fire.  I'm glad you escaped without your life being threatened.

Our current microwave is bulletproof.  My sons and I have tried to kill it on numerous occasions.  1 minute, ten minutes, 100 minutes, no big difference is there?  It gets hot and shuts off, but always comes back to life.  It needs to die.  

Maxx, can you come release the magic smoke from ours?

Sometimes you can stuff the magic smoke back in and it will work again.  did you try that?

​What, and avoid the horrible fate of having a nice new one with sensor cook ......

oh, sorry, lost it there for a minute.  You're probably right.  I should have tried harder to fix the old crappy one.

• Heart 1

​Wow.  While doing the research I read some reviews about a particular brand that started all by itself and then caught fire.  I'm glad you escaped without your life being threatened.

This was .....Panasonic?.....or GE? It was also about ten years ago. It worked fine for a while, then apparently Satan paid a visit.

It would run for a minute or so and shut off. 

I killed my microwave oven

Good.  Microwave ovens are evil.  Not as evil like running is evil but evil nonetheless.  In the cooking-is-an-art world, a microwave is just an etch a sketch or a stick family on the back of a minivan.

​I don't know.  The new microwave did a heck of a job of cooking a prepackaged chimichanga for lunch.

My microwave oven just broke one day.  So I raced out to the store and immediately got a new one since i love my mircowave.  But then the new microwave didn't work either.  That's when I realized that I'd blown a fuse.  One quick switch later, and I had two mircowaves working.  Oops.

• Heart 2

We once had a rogue microwave at work. It would trip major switchgear, get tossed, then rescued by someone else, only to trip more breakers. And some of the circuits were critical to production, so it was sort of a pain. :D

Edited by The Inedible Bulk

I bought this new Combi Microwave oven a month ago and it has completely changed my life.

combi.thumb.jpg.73a60b0ceed32ce5cb744b63

I've thrown out my wife of fifty-six years, disowned my daughter, and now live in a Bachelor's apartment in a high-rise building.

I think technology is wonderful.

• Heart 1

Hey onbike!!!  Do they have Microwave ovens in Scotland??

​I'll say they do and in fact I have the distinct impression that few people cook any more and prefer to heat up ready-made meals.

Not a good change I feel.

​I'll say they do and in fact I have the distinct impression that few people cook any more and prefer to heat up ready-made meals.

Not a good change I feel.

​I have had microwaved "baked" potato, but have never had microwaved scotch....

I thought you guys only had whiskey.  Hmmmm... learn something every day.

​The  hoi polloi may drink whiskey but sophisticated and well-travelled people such as myself will probably drink something like this.

350px-Armagnac-img_0465.thumb.jpg.800d6f

So back home, is Macallan's considered good Scotch?  I think the stuff is awesome but I'm quite sure we American's are paying a steep marketing price for it.

​Yes it is but it's usually personal preference with whiskey drinkers here.

Those who appreciate the peaty, smoky taste of the malts from the west coast islands will choose Talisker or Lagavulin, while those who enjoy a smoother , lighter whiskey would choose something from the Highlands like the Dalwhinnie with its floral notes. Whiskeys from Speyside,such as the Cardhu are different again and improve with keeping. If you want something with a cleaner taste the probably Glen Grant from the North-east would suit.  

The amount of tax we have to pay on whiskey here is crippling and I can buy single malts cheaper in French supermarkets than I can in Scotland.

Edited by onbike1939

​Yes it is but it's usually personal preference with whiskey drinkers here.

Those who appreciate the peaty, smoky taste of the malts from the west coast islands will choose Talisker or Lagavulin, while those who enjoy a smoother , lighter whiskey would choose something from the Highlands like the Dalwhinnie with its floral notes. Whiskeys from Speyside,such as the Cardhu are different again and improve with keeping. If you want something with a cleaner taste the probably Glen Grant from the North-east would suit.  

​Good info.