Satellite radio

Square Wheels

I've had this for a few years now and it's pretty expensive, just over $200 a year.  I spend an insane amount of time stuck in traffic.  I like to listen to uninterrupted music and some of the comedy channels.

My car has bluetooth and a built in app for Pandora, iHeartRadio and Slacker Radio.  I tried Pandora for about a week.  It takes a lot longer for it to load and it has hiccups like small less than a second drop outs a lot.  I found it irritating.

I'm not worried about how much data my phone eats up, it's my work phone and I have unlimited 4G data.

Your advice and suggestions on keeping me sane are appreciated. 

Approximately 150 full albums on each usb drive.  With almost all of my music transferred over to my desktop/house server it's easy to create new drives.  The USB socket in the car is brilliant.  And it has another of my favorite features,  Virtually free.

$200 a year is cheap if you enjoy it that much. :)  They always say the key to surviving extreme commuting is to treat yourself well. :)

I am quite happy with Philly stations wxpn and wmgk for the South Jersey part of the drive, and for the North Jersey part, NYC stations 104.3, 105.5, and 91.5, supplemented heavily with CDs from the library.  Today's was a 2 CD live set from My Morning Jacket - most excellent. :)

If you already enjoy the service then it seems 200 is a small price to pay.

I am with Mad though. My car has usb drives (2) and bluetooth. Although I thinks its a little silly their only supporting 16gb on the usb. But on both I have a jump drive maxed plus the 32 on my phone I have a vast assortment of audiotainment

I've had this for a few years now and it's pretty expensive, just over $200 a year.

​The younger people in my office don't appreciate 8 track players, so they have that fancy satellite radio too.  I've overheard that when it gets close to expiring, they call and ask what deals are available.  Usually the company offers some paltry discount.  They say they will let it lapse, and the company starts to bargain.  One guy in the office said "It's only worth $5/month to me." and the company said "OK."

• Heart 1

Could you look on ebay for a radio with a lifetime subscription activated?  I don't think people are entitled to transfer the subcription, so you can't go to sirius for service, but it doesn't have to work for too long to be worth it.

​The younger people in my office don't appreciate 8 track players, so they have that fancy satellite radio too.  I've overheard that when it gets close to expiring, they call and ask what deals are available.  Usually the company offers some paltry discount.  They say they will let it lapse, and the company starts to bargain.  One guy in the office said "It's only worth $5/month to me." and the company said "OK."

​I have heard the same thing.  One guy at work lets his run out occasionally so they will beg him to come back and offer a better deal.  I just plug my phone in and listen to whatever I want if I am going to be on the road very long.  I really don't spend that much time on teh road anymore.

Approximately 150 full albums on each usb drive.  With almost all of my music transferred over to my desktop/house server it's easy to create new drives.  The USB socket in the car is brilliant.  And it has another of my favorite features,  Virtually free.

Yup. This. 

No commericals, no annoying DJ's, music you actually want to hear and if someone steals stuff out of your car, you're out a cheap flash drive. 

The down side is it's a PITA to navigate through stuff in my car stereo. I usually just leave it on shuffle* and hit "next" if I'm not in the mood for whatever is on.

(The randomizer is stoopid, too. If you have a pool of, say 100 songs, each time it goes to pick another song at random, it picks from the same pool of 100. It doesn't keep track of what it's already played, so you could conceivably hear the same song multiple times in a row).

SO got free XM with the new car.....and just wrote "CANCEL" all over their first attempt to get her to pony up for it, now that the trial is over.

We sat down and went through the channel list when she first got it. There were a handful that sounded interesting, but she listened to them, said they sucked and that was that. Apparently having more channels doesn't mean more choices.

NYC stations..... 91.5

​Alisa Ali on The Alternate Side?  I prefer it to XPN these days.  At least until noon when they start playing the crazy stuff.

Most of the time I'm listening to my iPod and a lifetime's collection of music.  On shuffle I have no idea what's coming up next, just like the radio - but on a whim I can decide to listen to anything in my collection.  (The iPod's shuffle does not repeat until it gets through everything once)

I must confess I've found it hard to get into new music so far this year.  I'm currently on a Frank Zappa kick.  If you can get past the filthy lyrics the guy was an amazingly talented composer and producer.

Back when albums were real cheap on emusic (mid-2000s) I picked up about a dozen FZ albums, including that one.  My preference is for the less-psychedelic stuff of the 70s.  A favorite is the "Watermelon in Easter Hay" solo from Joe's Garage - that album has a bunch of great tunes on it... as well as some stuff that I wouldn't want my mother to know I was listening to.

​Alisa Ali on The Alternate Side?  I prefer it to XPN these days.  At least until noon when they start playing the crazy stuff.

​I listen from aboot 6-6:30, and some guy took over that spot.  I prefer xpn because The Alternate Side can have some music with some really repetitive sections.  I just haven't warmed up to it too much.  I prefer the all Pink Floyd, Allman Brothers, etc. all the time of 104.3, but it has too much talking.  So it is annoying that I have to cycle between three stations to avoid talking and commercials.  It is hard to beat non-fund drive xpn for continuous music.  Yeah, I do get tired of some of the things they put in heavy rotation, like that Stop Kissing Boys on the Street one.  I used to listen to an out-there jazz station up north, and that was pretty good.