Beginner ride last night

Dirtyhip

It was a total success.  There was some new entry level riders and a bunch of intermediate/advanced riders.  I think the skilled riders just wanted an easy night to chill or use it as a recovery ride.  We had some hail and rain.It was awesome to see the moisture.  I looked to the sky and screamed "YES...GIVE US SOME!"   :D

Everyone had fun, despite my one lapse of judgement where I didn't go beginner speed. I kinda dropped the crew for a moment or two.  I love this one section on this one trail that has a bunch of fun rock jumps. I had to schralp it up for a few moments.  :nod head:  

One of the beginners almost lost it at the end of the trail.  He was coming down this rocky section completely out of control...,one leg out.  Luckily, he kept his weight back and didn't endo that thing.  

I might post an intermediate/advanced ride next time.  Beginner rides are good for the sport, but they test the patience.  I have a really hard time riding that pace to keep people together. 

• Heart 4

It was a total success.  There was some new entry level riders and a bunch of intermediate/advanced riders.  I think the skilled riders just wanted an easy night to chill or use it as a recovery ride.  We had some hail and rain.It was awesome to see the moisture.  I looked to the sky and screamed "YES...GIVE US SOME!"   :D

Everyone had fun, despite my one lapse of judgement where I didn't go beginner speed. I kinda dropped the crew for a moment or two.  I love this one section on this one trail that has a bunch of fun rock jumps. I had to schralp it up for a few moments.  :nod head:  

One of the beginners almost lost it at the end of the trail.  He was coming down this rocky section completely out of control...,one leg out.  Luckily, he kept his weight back and didn't endo that thing.  

I might post an intermediate/advanced ride next time.  Beginner rides are good for the sport, but they test the patience.  I have a really hard time riding that pace to keep people together. 

​What is the pace you lead when taking beginner riders?

I went to a group ride that had a group that was supposed to be beginner level back when I first started riding. Within one minute they were up at about 16-18 mph and dropped me. I was so discouraged I almost put my bike up on Craigslist. I was thinking if that was "beginner level" then I wasn't even good enough to be a beginner.

I went to a group ride that had a group that was supposed to be beginner level back when I first started riding. Within one minute they were up at about 16-18 mph and dropped me. I was so discouraged I almost put my bike up on Craigslist. I was thinking if that was "beginner level" then I wasn't even good enough to be a beginner.

​Like 6-7 mph average on the trail.  This was a mountain bike ride.  

What are you, an experiencist?  Why should experts be excluded from your ride!  I demand that you cease and desist these exclusionary ride qualifications!

​The problem with the advanced riders is that they push the pace.  They can come, but they must simmer down now.

A beginner road ride would be about 12-14 mph, I would think.  

• Heart 1

​Even that is a bit ambitious I think. Based on my level and a friend who got into cycling at the same time...I'd go with closer to 10-12mph (12 mph MAX) for a beginner road ride. I usually rode in the 10 mph range when I started. She was even slower than that.

​Even that is a bit ambitious I think. Based on my level and a friend who got into cycling at the same time...I'd go with closer to 10-12mph (12 mph MAX) for a beginner road ride. I usually rode in the 10 mph range when I started. She was even slower than that.

​Are we talking flat or hills?  I was talking flats.  I try to take beginners on less hills and more flats.

Whatever the majority of the group is comfortable with. Any time I lead, I explain that if the group gets spread out, it's Ok - we will wait and regroup periodically and we will not make a turn without knowing that everyone is aware of where we went. I always like to have "lead" and "sweep" riders - and the person riding sweep needs to be extremely patient. 

I went to a group ride that had a group that was supposed to be beginner level back when I first started riding. Within one minute they were up at about 16-18 mph and dropped me. 

A "no drop" ride where you get dropped.....? Yeah, I've seen it..... If a ride is posted as a training ride and you get dropped, tough shit, but a beginner ride is no place for your ego.

A couple of years ago, I did a pre-ride the race course ride with a local group. The course wasn't yet marked, but the person leading knew where it was going to go. At one point we were hauling ass down a hill and the course took a hard left onto another trail. I overshot the turn and by the time I got stopped and turned around, they were gone. No one bothered to look for me -and the small group of backmarkers who caught up with me. 

Same group on a beginner ride completely soured the SO from riding with them - she overheard one of the other women complaining about having to wait for her.

Needless to say, I don't do group rides often. "Me and some guy named Steve" is enough of a group....

Even if the group gaps, we always keep people together.  I had a sweeper, and the gaps are nice, because it can be really dusty.

Same group on a beginner ride completely soured the SO from riding with them - she overheard one of the other women complaining about having to wait for her.

​This is no way to act on a beginner ride.  I tend to give people compliments for what they do right and guide them on technique for what they are doing wrong.  We want to inspire and create better riders for the sport.  To talk that way that woman did is discouraging for a newcomer.

Another important aspect is to introduce everyone.  This way, everyone feels like a part of something.  Sometimes, the people that come know each other and it can make new people feel like this is a clique and they they are an outsider.

I do group rides to give back to the community.  It's just that I have to take on only a few beginner rides per season or I get burned out on hosting.  

​This is no way to act on a beginner ride.  

Sadly, I've seen similar things several times. I just like to hang in the back and if someone says something about holding me up or whatever my response is "...look, I'm not at work, and I'm on my bike...Everything else is chickenshit".

The one and only time I ever tortured a newer rider was when I found out my buddy had started smoking again. Then I was a complete and utter asshole....

​Like 6-7 mph average on the trail.  This was a mountain bike ride.  

​The problem with the advanced riders is that they push the pace.  They can come, but they must simmer down now.

It depends on the bike and distance.  I ride a touring elite with 700x32s and that's my average speed on anything over 10 miles.  I typically ride 30-60 mile rides on the weekends.  Before that I peak out at a whopping 15-16.

​Are we talking flat or hills?  I was talking flats.  I try to take beginners on less hills and more flats.

​Flats. People who haven't ridden in years and are likely way out of shape are SLOW. As I said....the friend that I got started with would have probably had to work hard to keep up the 10mph.

A beginning ride should be "no drop" and an experienced rider should take "sweep" role and stay with the slowest rider.

• Heart 1

​Flats. People who haven't ridden in years and are likely way out of shape are SLOW. As I said....the friend that I got started with would have probably had to work hard to keep up the 10mph.

A beginning ride should be "no drop" and an experienced rider should take "sweep" role and stay with the slowest rider.

​Agreed.  I had a sweep last night.  Everyone had a great time.  If I saw people getting dropped I stopped or slowed to a crawl...my bike was almost falling over.

DH has a need to express how bitchin' of a rider she is.  I kinda like it.

​I like to schralp the gnar.

​Agreed.  I had a sweep last night.  Everyone had a great time.  If I saw people getting dropped I stopped or slowed to a crawl...my bike was almost falling over.

​I like to schralp the gnar.

​So do these beginners... They must be beginners, they are so young.

​Thinking back on the sweep role, the speed is really irrelevant as long as someone takes sweep role to ensure no one is dropped. They sure did not do that on the "beginner/no drop" ride that I tried back when I first started. In fact, they left me so quickly that after a few turns I was even a bit unsure about the route back to my car as it was an unfamiliar area too.

Edited by kingtermite

I would ride with anyone, except I stop to pee a lot and at unpredictable times.  That makes me a pain to ride with, so I stay away from group rides.

We have a lot of cyclists around here, but not too many clubs that I am aware of - clearly I don't seek them out.  My shop has a paceline ride for beginners where I heard you will be yelled at if you mess up their line, and no drop rides where you are dropped if you can't keep up.

This crap isn't for me.  If I feel like doing a nice slow 15 mph ride, that's what I'll do.  If I want to do a hard 20 mph ride, then that's what I'll do.  Could I go faster in a paceline, sure, but for me it's not worth the anxiety.

• Heart 1

I've been thinking about this... I try to be a good husband and father, and in so doing I let my wife and kids weigh in on decisions as appropriate.  I want them to be happy.  I don't feel like it's right for me to make "executive decisions" without at least getting input from my family.  And of course at work everything has to be run past someone else.

When I'm out on the bike, I prefer to be all by myself, because it gives me freedom to decide whatever I want.  Where to go, how fast, where to stop, and [sometimes] when it's time to head home.... it's one of the few times in my life where it's all up to me.

• Heart 1

When I'm out on the bike, I prefer to be all by myself, because it gives me freedom to decide whatever I want.  Where to go, how fast, where to stop, and [sometimes] when it's time to head home.... it's one of the few times in my life where it's all up to me.

​Amen.

• Heart 1