Hardest project you've had to do?

goldendesign

I have taken on a lot of projects that ended up being major pains. 

Recently I took on a project that wasn't above my skill level but was unknown territory. It is to convert a 1930s solid silver pocket watch to a steam punk wrist watch. 

Cool idea, fun and seemingly not too difficult to do. Holy hell was I wrong! Material incompatibility, heat damage issues and a plethora of other things have made this a gigantic headache. 

I am in the home stretch now and should have it finished today but from now on any project like this my price will be double. 

Anything the like for you?

I have taken on a lot of projects that ended up being major pains. 

Recently I took on a project that wasn't above my skill level but was unknown territory. It is to convert a 1930s solid silver pocket watch to a steam punk wrist watch. 

Cool idea, fun and seemingly not too difficult to do. Holy hell was I wrong! Material incompatibility, heat damage issues and a plethora of other things have made this a gigantic headache. 

I am in the home stretch now and should have it finished today but from now on any project like this my price will be double. 

Anything the like for you?

​I thought this was going to be about you watching "Three Amigos" last night. :P

For me...my senior project when getting my bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering. They normally had a "no partners" policy, but we convinced them to let us do a much more ambitious project as a team of two (my friend Nick and I). In fact, it turned out so well that they dropped that rule starting with us.

Anyway, we built a micro-controller controlled car that used sensors to follow a line of black tape on a light colored floor. That was our first big project when really combining both our knowledge of the hardware and software side of things. There was a lot of non-computer stuff that really tripped us up too, like electronic noise that the generators that turned the wheels made, the traction on the tires (needed more weight in the back over the tires), etc.....

I would have to say that building a house back in my 20's.  That was a 6 month project of swinging a hammer, pouring concrete, pulling wires, managing a couple subs and working with the local code enforcers while working full time at a brand new job.  I liked it so much that I did it again 10 years later,

I would have to say that building a house back in my 20's.  

Youth is a wonderful thing. My previous house, I had the shell built and then I did all the interior work myself, while working full time, second shift....but I was in my 30's. 

Now I keep looking at what needs to be done and wondering how much of it I can farm out....

• Heart 1

Youth is a wonderful thing. My previous house, I had the shell built and then I did all the interior work myself, while working full time, second shift....but I was in my 30's. 

Now I keep looking at what needs to be done and wondering how much of it I can farm out....

​I'm looking down the barrel of 60 YO and would never undertake to do it myself again (even though I'd like to).  I took a week off between jobs and got most of the framing done that week.  Sweat equity is a wonderful thing.

You mean your upper atmosphere pin?

Actually have that in wax form ready to me casted to make a mold. 

​Really?   YAY!!!  I thought you were stiffin me.  HAHA

BTW, This year I will reach the Karman line.  I already have 150,000 for the year.  I am well on track for 360,000 or higher, as long as I stay healthy and undamaged.  Been putting down 10,000 ft weeks lately.  Last week I had over 12K.  

​I'm looking down the barrel of 60 YO and would never undertake to do it myself again (even though I'd like to)

I'm stupid enough to be thinking about building something on my land up north. I'd actually like to retire up there....and I'm not even done with what I have to do at home.

I keep telling the SO that I hope her next guy appreciates all my hard work...

• Heart 1

I could just KILL my watchmaker. I had him remove the internals on that watch and emphatically told him to make the TOP of the watch. that way I would install the strap lugs the right way. 13 hours of fabrication, installation and polishing got me a beautiful piece, with the strap lugs installed upside down.

I can't even. I don't even have a way to ghetto rig it the right way. I just have to cut the mother fuckers off and start over!