Food for Thought

Zealot

I dunno. If somebody naturally has advantages, that isn't the same thing as getting those advantages by doping

"fair" doesn't mean "equal"

it means that each competitor competed under the same rules, not had the same chance to win

But 'rules' weren't what was being discussed

that's the problem then. The idea is that everyone should be the same when we clearly are not the same

so justifying doping by saying that someone just wanted to be the same as a  someone else who was a medical novelty jsut doesn't cut it. This is where we have to accept our own human limitations

So then I ask again, do we draw that same line a biological adjusting - replacement 'parts', healthier chemicals in our food sources, etc? If I am not 'naturally' a big muscular guy, and I eat and train for 7 years to pack on lbs and strength, to attain what someone else was born with naturally, aren't I doing the same thing you just decried?

Reminds me of a science fiction short story where all the athletes from the US and USSR were genetically modified.  If I recall, one of the Russian boxers had, literally, his brain in his buttocks so his opponent could never knock him out.  I think a US wrestler was formed in the shape of a pyramid so he could never be pinned.  Of course, both the US and the USSR lodged challenges against the other's modified athletes.  The story ends where all the protests are upheld, all the US and USSR athletes are disqualified, and third world countries scoop up all the medals.

Reminds me of a science fiction short story where all the athletes from the US and USSR were genetically modified.  If I recall, one of the Russian boxers had, literally, his brain in his buttocks so his opponent could never knock him out.  I think a US wrestler was formed in the shape of a pyramid so he could never be pinned.  Of course, both the US and the USSR lodged challenges against the other's modified athletes.  The story ends where all the protests are upheld, all the US and USSR athletes are disqualified, and third world countries scoop up all the medals.

Everyone likes an underdog.

I actually don't mind that athletes are doping up to go faster or get stronger.  At this point, I figure they are all doing it anyway, so why get all wrapped up around the axle about it?

This is partly why I don't bother to race anymore. I don't necessarily enjoy getting my arse handed to me when I'm only half as much prepared as some Lawyer type who puts in a Metric century during his lunch 'hour', or some kid who is just really tiny that climbs like a billy goat. And the stocky dude who can outsprint a Ferrari.