Bike challenges are not always equal

Dirtyhip

So there is this www.nationalbikechallenge.org thing.  It's bike to work week next week.  I just want to rant for a moment.  NOT ALL MILES ARE CREATED EQUAL!!

I hover in the top of the board, but the roadies always knock me back down. It isn't exactly an equal playing field.  The top spot is always a road biker.  Many of my miles are dirt.  I ride a fat bike, a mountain bike, a dirt jump bike and a cross bike.  My roadie bike hasn't moved in weeks.  My pump bike miles can't even be calculated.  The track is too small to even register on a Garmin.

Road miles are about half of the exertion compared to trail riding on fat tire bikes.  My competitive side wants to crush the board, but I know that goal is unrealistic.  <_<

Yeah, it's ten miles for me regardless of whether I take the road all the way or the canal path half way. The road is fairly hilly, but the canal is flat...and yet it takes me ~35 minutes by road or ~45 by canal path. Skinny tires and ass-fault are faster by far than wider tires and dirt.

(Same lazy-ass rider)

Yeah, it's ten miles for me regardless of whether I take the road all the way or the canal path half way. The road is fairly hilly, but the canal is flat...and yet it takes me ~35 minutes by road or ~45 by canal path. Skinny tires and ass-fault are faster by far than wider tires and dirt.

(Same lazy-ass rider)

I could go out and crush the boards on a roadie bike in the flat lands, and I would die of boredom.  :mellow:

I'm one of the Bike to Work Week organizers where I live and I'm on the provincial Bike to Work Week board. The week isn't a competition; it's about getting people to ride. We don't care if a rider is a road racer, a mountain biker or someone going from home to the office, with a stop at the coffee shop or winery on the way home. That's not important. All that matters is that these people are experiencing the joy of cycling.

There is a competitive element for some cyclists and I can appreciate it. For others, cycling isn't a sport. It's a way of life. 

• Heart 1

I'm one of the Bike to Work Week organizers where I live and I'm on the provincial Bike to Work Week board. The week isn't a competition; it's about getting people to ride. We don't care if a rider is a road racer, a mountain biker or someone going from home to the office, with a stop at the coffee shop or winery on the way home. That's not important. All that matters is that these people are experiencing the joy of cycling.

There is a competitive element for some cyclists and I can appreciate it. For others, cycling isn't a sport. It's a way of life. 

​I get that.  It was just an observation that the leaderboards favor roadies