How dangerous is your job?

Airehead

I have done some contract work in unsavoury parts of the world where time on the ground was in body armour and the carriage of handguns was required.  Most recently Agadez, Niger and other sub- Saharan hot spots as well as support flights in Bosnia.  Other than that, about as dangerous as driving to the airport gets.

Dangerous? 

Hopefully not, as that's my job to keep it that way. 

Hazardous? Absolutely full of (known) hazards, which we use three methods to mitigate: engineering, administrative, & PPE.

According to OSHA & the BLS, 750 workers die each year in our industry. 

• Heart 1

I really don't know how dangerous my job is.  The potential is certainly there for injuries and fatalities. I work with hot steel and powerful machines. I hope I never see anyone get a body part caught in one of the presses.  The thing that scares me the most is the 440 volt power cords running everywhere. The conveyors and cooling fans are constantly being moved to where needed and can't be hard wired. I have had two close calls with the electrical stuff.  Most of the injuries where I work are overuse, shoulders, elbows, and backs.

My new job was dangerous for my health and sanity. Just toxic. That's why yesterday was my last day. Even though I don't have another job lined up yet. Walking out to the car after work, I was greeted with a huge feeling of relief. Now I understand why animals will chew their leg off to free themselves from a steel leg trap.:unsure:

• Heart 2

Please tell us more, TS.  What went so bad so fast?  

​Thanks for asking but not much to tell. It doesn't take long to realize a pair of shoes don't fit. I kept going in hoping it would get better but... And after an incident last Monday, (won't go into details) I gave them the rest of the week to find a replacement. Hopefully this new guy is less scrupulous than me. I figured it would take a few tries to find a job, so I'm not really surprised. So Monday I start making calls and sending out resumes again. I guess I can always go back to my old job (and it's ridiculous commute) if nothing else comes up soon. 

Last night was the best night's sleep I've had in three weeks. Whats that saying? An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind...:nod head:

• Heart 2

I'm in maintenance fixing machines where I work. I can still count to 10 but I have seen some people lose fingers. 

The people that got hurt were the ones that were trying to find a shortcut and there hand was in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

I stop and think about the dumb things that I did 25 years ago and got a way with is probably why there's so many safety rules today. 

I have to watch out for old people with umbrellas who might want to bash me to death.....Patience actually...I have to pray I don't run out of mine.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out scooter....any of the other places you interviewed with a possibility?  Like the place you changed you mind about the first time...like your experience...sometimes new folks just don't work out....keep looking absolutely try to not go back to the long commute job.

Back in the day I served as a Paratrooper in some pretty shitty places but shed more blood working with disturbed and violent adolescents.

It seemed that they didn't care that I was a really good person. 

• Heart 1

Sitting behind 4 computer screens isn't good for health, but not in itself dangerous.

When I was an aircraft mechanic, that could be dangerous. Had one guy kill himself airing up a tire incorrectly and another blow off his arm. Both were doing it wrong - very wrong.

One of my instructors was teaching a flight control class and told his students to never, ever put their finger in 'there' which he promptly did. A locking mechanism over-centered and broke his finger. It was a very effective demonstration. I doubt if any of those students ever put their finger in there.

One of my instructors was teaching a flight control class and told his students to never, ever put their finger in 'there' which he promptly did. A locking mechanism over-centered and broke his finger. It was a very effective demonstration. 

Kind of like the first day of Heavy Equipment class in Vocational School. The instructor told them to MAKE SURE to unlatch the tailgate on the dump truck before tipping the box....and then proceeded to do exactly what he told them not to.

They had to get him down with a bucket loader...

OnBike, I have the same job risks along with a broken ankle, shoulder, more bites then I can count and the occaisonal bruise or black eye.  Safest kids I have ever worked with were in the lock-up.  They couldn't even have a pencil without an "aide' sitting next to them.

OnBike, I have the same job risks along with a broken ankle, shoulder, more bites then I can count and the occaisonal bruise or black eye.  Safest kids I have ever worked with were in the lock-up.  They couldn't even have a pencil without an "aide' sitting next to them.

​I used to tell those people I interviewed and were successful, to stay in post for two years only. This as the job was so stressful that it could cause them harm. Unfortunately I didn't follow my own advice.

• Heart 1

Sitting behind 4 computer screens isn't good for health, but not in itself dangerous.

When I was an aircraft mechanic, that could be dangerous. Had one guy kill himself airing up a tire incorrectly and another blow off his arm. Both were doing it wrong - very wrong.

One of my instructors was teaching a flight control class and told his students to never, ever put their finger in 'there' which he promptly did. A locking mechanism over-centered and broke his finger. It was a very effective demonstration. I doubt if any of those students ever put their finger in there.

:lol: "Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach." GBS

I'm in maintenance fixing machines where I work. I can still count to 10 but I have seen some people lose fingers. 

The people that got hurt were the ones that were trying to find a shortcut and there hand was in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

I stop and think about the dumb things that I did 25 years ago and got a way with is probably why there's so many safety rules today. 

​It is really hard working on stuff that is locked and tagged out.  I have to keep unlocking, doing what I have to do, relocking.  Where I work it didn't even come about because anyone was injured, it was a disgruntled idiot employee who called OSHA just to make trouble.