Cycling Shoes

Airehead

I need a pair of size 47 cycling shoes for Mr. Aire.  I would like them to be a gift.   He wants the quick wire system because he would like to use them for both duathlons and regular riding.   We went to our go-to LBS and the had a pair but the tongue hurt his ankle with every movement.  They sent us to another LBS.  They had the Bontrager version in a 46 and they seemed good.  They would only order a 47 if I paid up front.  Really, who buys shoes without trying them on?  I understand they have costs but for over $200 dollars, I think shoes should be tried on.  So no go threre.

The other LBS had nothing.  Even the crappy Bert's had nothing but unskilled shoe salesmen that tried to sell us a mountain bike shoe because they did not have what we wanted in a 47.  Bert's never fails to disappoint with how really truly bad they are.

Has anyone ever bought cycling shoes online?  If so, how do they handle returns?

Most online shops do returns very well.  I haven't purchased shoes but friends have and had no problem with returns.  I have a pair of Specialized Road Pro shoes with the boa system and like them a lot.  The 2015 model no longer has the boa but their S-Works and Tri series shoes do.  If you want, I have a pair of Specialized Elite road shoe, size 47, barely used.  My son tried riding a few years back but sold the bike and I've got these shoes.  They're free ninety-nine.  If HoA uses Speedplay I'll leave the cleats on too.

47, I would definitely take the shoes from you and would pay a fair price.  I am not sure if Mr. Aire needs them but we have a young man that is special to us who is now riding away his troubles instead of drinking and drugging.  He is also a 47 and Mr. Aire just gave him a bike.  They are too nice of shoes to sit unused.

PS- We are an all Speedplay family but you should keep the cleats in case you need them.

This one made me think. You know, every pair of cycling shoes I've ever bought - for myself or my wife - I've purchased on line. And I've never had to return a pair.

However, I have bought other shoes on line that had to be returned and other cycling items on line that needed to be retuned; never really had any issues doing do. Just buy from a reputable company.

I buy all my cycling shoes and work shoes online. My LBS is a small shop and only stocks a few pairs of shoes and nothing even close to my size.  Most sites have easy return and some even offer free return shipping.  I've never had to return bike shoes but did return a pair of work boots that were the wrong size shipped in the right box.

47, I would definitely take the shoes from you and would pay a fair price.  I am not sure if Mr. Aire needs them but we have a young man that is special to us who is now riding away his troubles instead of drinking and drugging.  He is also a 47 and Mr. Aire just gave him a bike.  They are too nice of shoes to sit unused.

PS- We are an all Speedplay family but you should keep the cleats in case you need them.

​PM me your address.  My wife and I are downsizing in preparation of the Great Escape.  I'd be happy if these found a good home.  The cleats are included as I don't ride Speedplay anymore.  They're in a box ready to mail.  If you want to pay for them, do something nice for someone else.  Pay it forward as I have been blessed in many ways and money is pretty superfluous.

• Heart 4

For me it works best if I know it will fit.  Sizes across a manufacturers line are fairly consistent.  However a size 47 Giro may not be the same as a size 47 Bontrager.  I've gotten good deals on ebay where the size does not work out and I turn around and sell them on Craigslist.  I don't like returning because of the shipping costs.

BTW, I wear a 47 and find some 47's to be too small.  I've had good luck with Giro and Speacialized fitting.