vandals suck

Airehead

Vandals broke into one of my schools today.  I had to cancel schools because of the air quaility issues that result from a bunchof dry powder fire extinguishers.  Who does this to kids with special needs>?

​Do you think that much thought was even put into the idiocy that went into the vandalism?

I guarantee not --if there was thinking going on in the heads that did it, it wouldn't have happened in the first place.

• Heart 2

How terrible that fine powder gets everywhere...too bad the vandals can't be made to clean up the mess...and maybe work with your students as part of a community service deal....They might..(maybe...at least one could hope) learn something from the experience.

​You have to catch them before you can do that.

Cleanup of fire extinguishers sometimes requires specific procedures.

Aire, hopefully the cops can dust your extinguishers for prints and see if it calls up any of juvenile hall's usual suspects.

Dry chemical fire extinguishers are a PITA to clean up.  When I was the maintenance supervisor at a retreat center someone was always setting one off and making a mess.  That and the pillow fights with ducky feathers everywhere were the worst problems. The chemical isn't really that harmful just a nuisance to clean up.

When I was in school, I remember a couple of brothers getting caught vandalizing a bunch of projects in an art classroom and spilling paint everywhere. When the police were done with them and released them into the custody of their parents, they got a big surprise. When they got home, their parents had vandalized their bedrooms. They were both into slot-cars and model rockets, so you can guess what happened to them.

I don't know if and eye for and eye is really the best way to handle things, but I never saw these guys step out of line again.

• Heart 2

We have medically fragile children in many rooms.  Lids with trachs, for example.  We have had to call in an incident response crew.  The stuff likely isn't unsafe to healthy adults but fragile kids-- not good.  I am going in in a bit and meanwhile cant sleep.

When I was in school, I remember a couple of brothers getting caught vandalizing a bunch of projects in an art classroom and spilling paint everywhere. When the police were done with them and released them into the custody of their parents, they got a big surprise. When they got home, their parents had vandalized their bedrooms. They were both into slot-cars and model rockets, so you can guess what happened to them.

I don't know if and eye for and eye is really the best way to handle things, but I never saw these guys step out of line again.

Sometimes, maybe that is  the best course of action .

Sorry to hear. Its just sad.:(

I've never understood the whole vandalizing thing. Recently a nearby vacate school that was just about to reopen as a therapy center for children with autism, got badly vandalized too. Causing thousands of dollars of damage and delaying the opening for months. I just don't get it.:dontknow:

And if we do, what will they do to us? 

You give too much credit. The consequences of getting caught never entered into it because, well we weren't going to get caught. We were far too smart for that, it couldn't happen to us - just like any other stupid thing kids do.

The excitement of doing something illegal overrode any common sense. Empathy never even entered into it because we were bored, self-centered assholes.

You give too much credit. The consequences of getting caught never entered into it because, well we weren't going to get caught. We were far too smart for that, it couldn't happen to us - just like any other stupid thing kids do.

The excitement of doing something illegal overrode any common sense. Empathy never even entered into it because we were bored, self-centered assholes.

​Perhaps, and for most kids I think you're right.  Some seem to know the system.

In one case I saw a kid vandalizing public property, and told him to knock it off or I'd call the police.

He said "Go ahead. I'm fourteen. They can't touch me."

​Perhaps, and for most kids I think you're right.  Some seem to know the system.

In one case I saw a kid vandalizing public property, and told him to knock it off or I'd call the police.

He said "Go ahead. I'm fourteen. They can't touch me."

There are a certain percentage of kids who are sociopathic and/or already hardened enough to play the system - but those don't automagically stop getting in trouble when they reach an age where they can be given adult offender status. They just get into progressively more serious trouble.

I'm willing to grant most kids the benefit of the doubt and write their behavior off to boredom, stupidity, bad parenting or "all of the above". I did a lot of stuff I'm not particularly proud of (however, I did NOT put the bulldozer in the municipal pool even though I am still getting "credit" for it today) and I often look back and go "Man, that was stupid,/needlessly destructive/dangerous/insensitive..." I'm just glad I never got caught. My life could be a lot different now.

As my friends individually attained the 16 year mark, they calmed down. I think it was actually a bit of maturity, but it was used as an excuse "No man, I can go to jail for that now..." And we all bought that excuse.

​An eye for an eye may not always be the best.

However, I think the better point made by the parents was "How would you like it, if someone treated your things in the manner you just did?"  Suddenly, the light goes on and it hits close to home.

When I worked in education, at the high school level it's amazing how many kids I saw over fifteen years that didn't care about anything that didn't belong to them.  Textbooks.  Computers.  Science lab equipment.  And when I talked to them about the computer policies we had, I always pointed out that they probably all had a (hunting rifle, restored car, iPod, smart phone, prized possession) -and what would it be like if someone around them messed with it and didn't care because "Well, it's not mine, so so what?"

Thank you FSOG.  I haven't laughed all day.  I just sat down for literally the first time since the 6Am incident meetings.  I am tired.  I am cranky.  I laughed at your post and then so did Mr. Aire.  It also gives me hope.  You are one of the kindest, least self-centered people that I know.  I hope my vandals turn out just like you and soon!